PDA

View Full Version : How poorly did I play this hand?

chesspain
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Party 1/2 Average table

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button

UTG & UTG+1 both call, MP raises, folded to LP who coldcalls, CO coldcalls, I coldcall, SB folds, BB reraises, folded to UTG+1 who calls, MP caps, everyone else calls (12.75 SB)

9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to MP who bets, LP and CO call, I raise, BB reraises, folded to MP who calls, LP calls, I cap, BB/MP/LP all call (11.75BB)

[9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif] Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, MP raises, LP coldcalls, I coldcall, BB reraises, MP caps, LP coldcalls two more, I coldcall again (YUCK...I think I should have bowed out here). [19.75BB]

[9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, MP raises, folded to me and I coldcall yet again, BB calls.

I coldcalled five times this hand...that can't be good /images/graemlins/blush.gif

When exactly should I have given up this hand, assuming I should not have stayed in until the bitter end?

Results to follow...

chesspain
11-18-2003, 03:58 PM
MP showed Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the turned set
BB showed A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the way overplayed Big Slick.

Festus22
11-18-2003, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen your results yet but cold calling PF with that hand isn't on my top ten list. It sure looks like you need to flop a 4-flush at this point and the implied odds just aren't there when having to call 2 cold.

Flop looked OK but I'd be really unamused when it's capped back to me.

I think the turn is a fold when a diamond, ace or 9 doesn't hit especially when it's two bets to you.

TheRake
11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
I think I prolly fold this hand to a raise pre-flop.

TheRake

MaxPower
11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Even with this many players in and with position, I'm not crazy about cold calling pre-flop with this hand. I generally do not like to call 2 bets when my hope is to flop a flush draw. I'm open-minded on this if any cares to convince me I'm wrong.

This is tough to fold. The time to consider folding it is when you are faced with calling 2 bets cold on the Turn. You've got to realize that it is going to cost you a lot of money to see the showdown as it will probably be raised and reraised. Unless the opponents are utter maniacs, I would fold on the turn.

PokerNoob
11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
I don't think the preflop coldcall OTB is horrid in a loose passive game. You'll have position. When BB reraises though, and its capped I'm not happy. This often is or leads to "Let's Gamble!" and you don't know where you stand. Flop is a good raise, but I don't think I cap here, mainly because I'm afraid a coldcaller has 66 and is chuckling up his sleeve. When the Q hits the turn, you've got to be worried. You are behind AQ and way behind to QQ also, which are possible holdings given the preflop action, and the nines may no longer be outcards. Also, my flush has disappeared, which is why I was here in the first place. The lunatic fringe is still betting and raising, which usually stops on the turn if they truly don't have anything. You're facing two bets and the betting has been capped on every street. Do you really want to fight this battle when you can't be comfortable unless the river is an ace, a two outer. Add to that fact that there are still people hanging around. Why? Possibly because they have an Ace in their hand(s). You may have a no-outer. That OTB position comes in handy because you know its two to you. Fold.

Make that turn queen the queen of diamonds and you getting the odds to coldcall with the nut flush draw. A non diamond river and you fold.

rkiray
11-18-2003, 08:42 PM
I'd call this on the button everytime. 5 limpers already and we could pick up one of the blinds, and I have a good multiway hand. This could be a huge pot. I'd be annoyed when the BB 3-bet and the other guy capped but the pot is too big to go anywhere.

I like the flop play. I'd fold the turn unless these guys are idiots. There has been all kinds of action yet one guy bets and someone else raises. Two pair no good, unless these guys are fools.

Nottom
11-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Unlike many others, I'm calling with A9s on the button everytime. BUT you need to be able to let go of a decent flop if the action tells you your hand is no good. If you can't do that post flop, just let it go preflop for the raise.

As for when you can let it go, on the flop you obviously aren't going anywhere. On the turn when its 2 bets to you I'd like to think I could let it go. On a good day I prolly could, even on a bad day I think I would dump it when the turn is capped

ElSapo
11-19-2003, 01:11 AM
I thought about how to respond to all of the post, but it just becomes moot when you muck A9s to a raise.

I hate cold-calling. And you spend much of the hand doing just this, and that's after you get told your hand is no good.