PDA

View Full Version : Should I have checked this set on the flop?

chesspain
11-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Party 1/2 Average table

I'm dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in the SB

Folded to MP who openlimps, folded to me and I raise, BB calls, MP calls.

5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

I lead out and bet, both fold /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Should I have checked, rather than bet? I assumed that since I raised PF from the SB, it would have look fishy had I not bet out. However, looking at it now, it makes sense that the others would have folded if neither had an ace.

Did I miss a chance to pick up some extra bets?

scotnt73
11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
well played. You know if you slowplay that other A is gonna rear its ugly head.

bisonbison
11-18-2003, 03:11 PM
However, looking at it now, it makes sense that the others would have folded if neither had an ace.

I think this is the key. At Party LL, most people would defend their Ace pair. If you didn't get a caller here, it's unlikely you would have gotten one on the turn.

crockpot
11-18-2003, 03:15 PM
i doubt a free card would have given the opponents much, except maybe a draw to a gutshot for broadway. you're much better off just betting, hoping someone has an ace or a gutshot to broadway already, and getting action on it.

had you flopped top set on a Q72 rainbow board, a check makes a lot more sense, since a free card can easily make someone a hand they will go too far with.

Dylan Wade
11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Of course, that would be great for him since he'd be getting a lot of action from someone with three Aces. hehe

Nottom
11-18-2003, 03:27 PM
You have to bet. Hope that someone has something they think is worth calling with. With 2 cards in the play-zone giving free cards isn't a great idea.