PDA

View Full Version : When to play .....it when not?

12-15-2001, 06:48 AM
Date: Monday, 10 December 2001, at 3:40 a.m.

I just got home from an evening in one of my regular games in Bay Area. The best game tonight was an awesome lineup in the 6-12. The 9-18 was a grinder game. But this 6-12 was fishead soup! And I was starving!

Well I one-bet and blind off, occasionally two-three bets in hands and flops till I get down to just 4 chips from my rack after losing a set. No biggee.If I dump these I'll get more. I then go all in and get protection from a bettor on a KK3 flop when I have 78s, I got him nutted! I made a pair. : )

Ok so now I got 21 chips, I make another hand and have 65 chips.

Now to the point of my post:

This is a game full of any two will do's, 2, 3, 4 bets doesnt seem to matter.

I get pocket ducks in the BB. It's 3 bets to me with 6 players and only the opener and first raiser behind. It seems to me that if they think the pot will be big then even more reason for them to play. to play anything. I decide the obvious 21-2 + the implied odds are worth it to see the flop. If I get a duck on the flop I'll get paid off.

Comments?

Of course it ends up being capped @ 4 bets. Oh well.

Long story short I flopped the duck and it held up. The board looked like 25748 rainbow. The button and the Sb called my turn bet and when the 8 hit I was forced to check call if they had a 6. The button called all the way with 83o! what a game!..

Later I was in mid-early and mucked the same hand pre-flop. My reasoning was I had no indication of what the action would be and what it would cost versus players in the hand knowing I would need to flop a set to win. Of course the duece hit the flop and I would drug another big pot but instead the same guy as on the button before won it with 73o with 2 7's on the board.

My question is: Is my reasoning correct on when to play it in these supper loose-semi aggressive games? I had worst position in the first hand but knew the pot-odds and implied odds were great. Later in the second hand I think I was correct in mucking because there was no action and I had no reading on what the action could be nor the implied odds. These are hands I have a hard time with. Those baby pairs. I often muck them up front, call in the back. I'm not talking mid pairs. Just babies. When should we play them in a game like this?

12-15-2001, 08:17 PM
There's no need to post this a second time. The three people who responded the first time you posted this gave you sound information.

12-16-2001, 04:56 AM
as some people dont read the small stakes forum I have reposted here.

Notice that I spoke more from a positional/action viewpoint. Please, read the post carefully and lets here your thoughts. Thanks.

12-16-2001, 06:32 AM
You already gave the answer yourself in the way you played the two hands.

You play baby pairs when you have the proper odds to flop a set. So, you muck them in early position and play them cheaply in late position. However, they're certainly playable even in a capped pot if there are 6 (5?) other callers.

12-16-2001, 09:49 AM
You say I gave the answer in the way I played the hands. So there is an answer?

I don't know. I'm trying to find out if my thinking is skewed or not. Unfortunately I'm not all knowing and assumethat every action I make is the most sensible or profitable or has good chance for positive results. In fact I think I may start a forum for people to discuss and figure out by the opinions of others....ah shit someones probably done that already. Now where is that place?

12-17-2001, 02:52 AM
In fact I think I may start a forum for people to discuss and figure out by the opinions of others....ah shit someones probably done that already. Now where is that place?

rgp

12-17-2001, 06:17 AM