PDA

View Full Version : ??? Preflop cards-Zee ???

12-13-2001, 03:53 PM
Starting Hands

Posted by: ray zee

Posted on: many moons past

There seems to be alot of discussion on how the different starting hands

rank. Would some of the readers answer with their thoughts on this question.

1. Out of 100%, what is the importance of the 2 cards you start with in

holdem. 2. Next, what is the % impotance of the play of the hand throughout

the betting. 3. Finally, what is the % importance of reading the other

players. I am assuming the player plays well and is playing proper starting

hands for the game being played. Discount all other variables such as seat

selection,position,tempo of the game,etc.

12-14-2001, 02:17 AM
what is the % impotance of the...

Ray, you have really got to learn to use that spell checker. /images/smile.gif

TRLS

12-14-2001, 10:10 PM
maybe its fureudian

12-16-2001, 07:38 PM
Interesting that this question has not received many responses. I'm a relatively inexperienced player but here's my opinion.

The importance of the starting cards varies with the type of game. In low stakes or loose games with weak players I'd rate the importance of starting cards at 75%. If you will always be checked to if you raise and called if you bet, the only way to win the hand is to have the best cards. Playing the cards well counts 25% because you build the pots for the hands you win and avoid chasing losers. Reading the other players is near impossible.

The other extreme would be a higher stakes game with tight aggressive players. Starting cards still matter because it's just easier to play good cards than bad cards. So I'll give starting hands 25%. Betting is most important because the difference in money earned in a particular hand can vary greatly depending on how it's bet. With opponents who raise and fold, smart bets make a big difference. So I'll give that 50%. Reading other players is obviously important, but in my opinion, very difficult when playing against strong opponents, so I'll give that 25%.

Am I on the right track here?