PDA

View Full Version : Got any JJ help for a Party newbie??

Mackenzie
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Anything I can do to improve on this, or is it just a classic suckout? Appreciate any help for a newbie. Seems like I can't ever get a pocket pair to hold up....

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP3

UTG limps, MP1 limps, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls

Flop(8 SB): A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls

Turn(9 BB): T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, MP1 calls

River(11 BB): K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 checks, Hero checks

MP1 shows QK

Should I have checked the turn to see if anyone bet into me just because I have no info at this point? Seems to go against the agressive tactics that make money in this game. Just got to the table but it seemed a little tight-passive.

Thanks all.

WillMagic
11-18-2003, 12:49 AM
The first thing you have to understand is that this is about as bad a flop as you can have for your hand.

The way I play this is I take a stab at the pot, like you did, on the flop.

However, when you get called in both places, your best guess has to be that one of them is slowplaying a ten. I find that to be very common at .50/1.

So I think I would check along on the turn.

On the river, especially with the King coming, I would check/fold.

Mackenzie
11-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks Will. If the flop came TT8 or similar, how would your play differ, if at all?

BaronVonCP
11-18-2003, 07:35 AM
The absence of an overcard would make a difference. I would play it strong unless I was told someone had a T.

With the flop action I wouldn't be suprised that someone has an A, add to the fact that someone may be slowplaying a T, and I think you have an easy check.

I'd pray that no one bet the rive and I could get a free showdown. The only hand that you could call against and win is a bluff.

Joe Tall
11-18-2003, 10:03 AM
I think you played it fine.

I would have probably bet the river also.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have checked the turn to see if anyone bet into me just because I have no info at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. You filled up. If there is and Ace out there, it'll bet out or check-raise, then you'll know you are beat.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

WillMagic
11-18-2003, 11:02 AM
TT8 is a big difference. There are only two cards out that beat you, instead of five.
I'd play the flop aggressively. I'd bet the turn but fold to a check-raise. If checked to on the river, I'd bet out, and I'd call a single bet.

Will