PDA

View Full Version : Strategy changes for online poker

harboral
11-17-2003, 09:47 PM
I am new to online poker and am having a tough time taking down the money. In live games I am fairly aggressive and look for good oportunities to play draws. My usually fold my top pairs when a higher door card pairs or I am raised or reraised. This has always worked well - but online I don't seem to be able to get anybody out ($1 - 3 limits) and am constantly getting beat by trip small cards and straights and flushes. ANY advise for online play, low limit?

crockpot
11-18-2003, 01:56 AM
where are you playing? at some sites, the ante is so high that you will get eaten alive while waiting for a hand. of course, some sites are also looser than others.

at low limits, lots of people won't go out unless you really hammer the pot, so your best play is just to not play your unimproved big cards that hard, and win a lot when you do improve to a big hand.

harboral
11-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I have been trying to play the $3 and $6 game at PokerStars and am getting run-over. (25 cent ante) Do I need to tighten-up and play just high pairs and no straight or flush draws since it is usually down to 2 or 3 players. It seems that whenever I raise with a high pair I still get beat by garbage trips.

crockpot
11-19-2003, 12:33 PM
don't let your bad luck affect your judgment. this ante is pretty small for 3/6, so you shouldn't loosen up for that, either. also, you shouldn't go out of your way to steal the antes that much, which you might have to do in party's 3/6 with a 50 cent ante.

in a game where about 30% are seeing fourth street, you do need to tighten up. if it doesn't appear that you have the biggest pair, you should only play a pair with an overcard kicker to your opponent's hand (preferably if the overcard is in the hole), a three-flush or three-straight with at least one overcard. read 7-stud for advanced players for more info.

if you're in late position, you can reduce your requirements a lot if you raise to try and steal the antes. a raise with AQ7 when there are only two players left to act is fine, but don't get caught dead with this hand in early position, or after others have limped in.

Graham
11-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Quarter ante for 3/6 is a game to play squeaky tight in.

I'd say make sure you're playing live hands and if lots are staying in, then play to make the big hands. ie, do play for straights and flushes when the game's loose. Still charge 'em with your big pairs, but realise you may have to slow down/throw it away if you get lots of customers and things start to look scary. Loose stud games are a gold mine.

I played the stud games on Ladbrokes when their poker first opened and everyone was super loose. Boring as hell waiting to make a big enough hand worth getting through the river with, but the returns on those were hugely profitable.