PDA

View Full Version : 98s

12-12-2001, 05:35 PM
If the flop falls 9c3d2s and it is checked to my 9h8h in a limped pot what should I do?

I find that when I bet, because I think I probably have the best hand at that point, most others call anyway and then when the almost inevitable A, K, or Q falls on the turn I have to fold to a bet.

If I don't bet and the K falls I have maybe let a K8s catch a K for nothing.

Should I only be looking for a flush, flush draw, straight, straight draw, or two pair, on the flop with this hand, and check or fold one top pair?

Could you give me your thoughts on this one please?

12-12-2001, 06:11 PM
I am not at all thinking that I have the best hand under that situation, and even if I do, it probaly will not hold up. I would rarely bet, except maybe if there were only 2 or 3 in the pot and I knew what they regulary played.

12-13-2001, 01:56 AM
This is totally the wrong way of lookng at this. If the bet forces a few players to fold their hands then not betting is totally incorrect. Just because this hand will win less then half the time doesn't mean you just give up- that is totally silly. There are plenty of relatively safe turn cards and 5 outs to two pair or trips.

Playing too tight/passive can cost you money just like playing too loose can.

Kris

12-13-2001, 02:00 AM
I think this is an almost automatic bet in an unraised pot. I can't think of any exceptions but there probably are a few. Anyway checking may turn into a pot costing error and these should always be avoided.

Kris

12-14-2001, 12:56 PM
If there are several players behind you, I would bet if first and would probably raise to get the high cards to fold. What would you do if you were holding AJs or KQs? Maybe stay in with overcards for one bet but probably not for 2 bets.

Also, if a couple of people fold, the pot odds disappear for many other draws such as gut-shot.