PDA

View Full Version : Overcards missing flop

DougThor
11-17-2003, 03:24 PM
No specific hands but a general strategic question...

What is the general concensus about raising with overcards, AKs, AQs, AKo, or AQo pre-flop, then having the flop miss. What situations do you still lead out with a bet having missed the flop? One opponent, two opponents, backdoor flush or straight possibilities only?

Thanks,

Doug

PokerNoob
11-17-2003, 04:23 PM
If I'm the only preflop raiser, I almost always lead out with a bet. I'm uncertain how to play this though, depending on how many people saw the flop, and also what to do if the turn (and river) card misses you too. The big variable is whether your opponents are capable of folding middling to even decent pairs. I've tried it a few different ways... 1) the just keep betting theory. I've had all fold to my river bet, and I've been called and shown everything from unraised nut hands to 7 highs. 2) The check/fold route. If you are in late position, you can often see that river for free after betting the flop. If an A or K hits the river, everybody knows exactly what you have though. They'll often still call you down with a lesser kicker. They'll also raise you with anything that beats TPTK.

scotnt73
11-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Id like to hear from our experts on this one as well. I tend to keep betting into 2 or fewer opponents until one of them tells me im beat. Should i bet the flop then check call the turn? check fold? Good Question.

Fistdantilus
11-17-2003, 05:52 PM
If a lot of people called you preflop, then just check-fold. There's no way your PAIR-DRAW will stand up.

If there are 1-2 people in it at the flop, a 1 bet investment isn't a bad idea. If you last to act, then any time everyone checks to you is a good betting opportunity. Don't take it farther than the flop unless one of your kind comes on the turn.

Fistdantilus

Dylan Wade
11-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Well, it depends on if you think you can lose some opponents. If I've got a table of gamblers, I check. (or figure I have 6 outs, but add in expected calls into my pot odds- if i'd call a bet- i'll bet first and keep the lead)

But often, in EP, when facing players capable of folding, I look at it like I'm tacking on a couple extra outs to my overcards if I have the lead on the flop (only raiser pf). So, I figure 8 outs and if pot odds look right for that I'll bet. Obviously, if you're raised once you can call. It's harder to proceed on the turn, however. Usually if they've let me keep the lead, I'll go ahead and take one more wack at it and then check the river.
In late pos, I find it's usually a good idea to check the turn for a free card.

edit: this is only for if I missed the flop, and it seems like everyone probaby missed it too. 3 rag rainbow. I might just let it go on a 789s flop.

rkiray
11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
This is much to general of a question to provide an answer to. The best thing to do is post specific hands and please include details such as how the table is playing in general, information about your opponents in the hand, and anything else that is relevent (e.g. I was on a great run of cards, so I had been raising alot, therefore I suspect some of the players at this table think I'm a maniac). Playing poker just using "general concepts" and not adjusting for the specific game is a disaster.