PDA

View Full Version : When to make your move

12-11-2001, 01:44 AM
Any thoughts from you guys on when, or knowing when you are a low limit player to moving up to 8-16 and higher? I have read a lot that says you need the bankroll to move up, but have found it hard making that bankroll at the 3-6 and 4-8 games? Any help appreciated.

12-11-2001, 02:13 AM
What's your bankroll and how often do you play? I usually play 5-10 lately, but when I win a few sessions in a row, I allow myself a shot at 10-20 with a 25 big bet buy-in ($500). Then if I can win some, I will slowly advance to playing it more often. Of course, never put your whole bankroll in jeopardy, but I think taking shots is a good thing and allows you to move up gradually. Never think you MUST play a certain limit; play the best game you can find, and whatever limit you feel like at the moment. But DON'T allow yourself to get slaughtered in one session.

Jeff

12-11-2001, 02:26 AM
If you were to lose your entire bankroll, would you 1) quit playing for life? 2) raise a stake via regular income and play again?

If 2, then I think it's good to move up when the money in your pocket is such that the emotional need to move up outweighs the suffering of walking out broke.

Tommy

12-11-2001, 03:32 AM
Progression need not be like island hopping.

Keep your eye on the higher games and when there's a good one play it once in a while. You'll be a 3/6 player playing 5/10 occasionally. Soon you'll find that you are a 5/10 players playing 3/6 occassionally.

- Louie

12-11-2001, 08:59 AM
take a shot at 10-20 tonite..you'll play better and win...leave if 3 chops in a row..gl

12-11-2001, 04:37 PM
one nice thing about try at larger game--you may leave some of those --any two cards guys

12-12-2001, 07:56 AM
I typically play anywhere from $2-$4 up to $15-$30 home games. I've played in, and often won, at larger stakes, but they aren't available where I live now. I recently opened an account on UB. I'm playing on the $2-$4 tables there for the time being, only partially to build a bankroll, but more to get used to the style of play, the quirks of online gambling etc. I'll move up fairly soon I guess. But I really want to make sure I won't screw up by clicking the fold button instead of the raise button first.

My point is reach up when you know you're ready, not when you think you should.

I think there's far too much self-imposed stress on playing at higher limits. If you've got a job and plan on keeping it, play at the level you can afford. It's still just as agonising, depressing, orgasmic and fun. Well, maybe not orgasmic, but most of the other emotions are there.

12-14-2001, 02:18 PM