PDA

View Full Version : Checkraise with outs

Vehn
11-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Not so good $15/$30. I open raise UTG+1 with AsKc. Overaggressive RounderzKid looks at me for a bit and 3 bets on the button. I'm pretty sure he's fairly weak here. Awful calling station calls in the SB. I have no idea what she could have here. I call.

Flop:

Ac 8c 6d

SB checks, I bet, RK calls, SB calls.

Turn:

7c

SB checks, I check, RK bets, SB calls, I raise, RK 3-bets, SB calls, I call.

River:

6h

Its checked to the button who bets, SB calls and I overcall. Meh?

Edge34
11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
I only think you picked the wrong time for a checkraise. With a calling station who could be holding a 6 or any two clubs in her hand, your Aces up could easily be beaten here. I can see calling down the hand somewhat to see just how good your AK turned out to be, but you put in an extra 2 big bets on the turn when the flush card came out. Hopefully you were still good, but I'm pretty sure you could have just called down and saved yourself those bets.

Yeknom58
11-17-2003, 06:27 PM
I think betting in this spot is a better option because if you CR you're representing the flush and the weaker hands that are drawing thin might fold. RK could have KK-99 or AQ/J/T and you want this hand to pay you off on the end. If you add in the fact that you might get 3-bet by a made flush I don't think a CR was the best option.

Also by betting out rather than CR I think you better hide the fact that you have the Kc and if the 4th flush card come on the river the Qc/Jc/Tc might be more inclined to go to war.

stripsqueez
11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
i like it

i dont see any reason not to believe you are in front on the turn - sure a flush hit but its pessimistic to believe someone's got it - the over aggressive button would probably of raised your flop bet with a flush draw - as for the SB, they would call the turn bet by the button with heaps of crap holdings like any 9 or 5 or a weak ace etc - over aggressive players can hurt you so i am always keen to hurt them back and checking the turn seems an excellent plan to me

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Diplomat
11-17-2003, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

I do not think it is unreasonable that you have the best hand, or that you are chopping.

-Diplomat

Schneids
11-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I think you're good here. If SB has a flush or two pair on the turn, he's raising right there. So I'd probably put him on an AJ with jack of clubs or something of that sort, maybe Q, or 9 with the added straight draw, based on how he called the whole way through (the only hand here that could kill you is if he had Qc6, which he may not have been willing to lay down for any bets on the turn). Rounders kid, who knows? One of AK, AQc, or even AJc. Small chance of flopped set too, though, very small. I'd overcall expecting to take all or half of the pot at least half the time.

elindauer
11-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I prefer leading the turn and, perhaps, 3-betting your overly aggressive opponent. Why bet? Well, there are many hands that your terrible playing calling station SB could have which you would like to see folded in this good sized pot. Gutshot straights, middle pairs, even pocket pairs. Your best chance to get this to happen is to lead and hope the calling station has to face 2 cold. Your check-raise has the effect of trapping him, which might be good if your hand was stronger and you thought he was drawing dead.

Anyways, in a big pot with a hand which is strong but fairly vulnerable, risking a free card is just too dangerous, IMO.

Magikist
11-17-2003, 08:59 PM
In my experience, when players like RounderzKid want to test you, they raise that flop. That's a suspicious call on the flop. It makes you expect a raise or fold from him on the turn, and so check-raising puts you in a riskier position. I suspect his 3-bet was legitimate.

The overcall is not wrong given the size of the pot and your description of your opponents. There's a chance he's got something like AxQc or 9x9c.

Vehn
11-18-2003, 01:08 AM
He turned over pocket sevens for the turned set. Gack. I think what is interesting is that if I chose to bet the turn I would have auto-3 bet it when raised against this opponent. So I really "saved" one BB if you assume I couldn't find a fold on the river, which I'm not sure I would. Meh.

stripsqueez
11-18-2003, 02:45 AM
cruel business...

i forgot to mention in my original response that the title to your post is perhaps better expressed as "redraws" not "outs" - the latter suggests the result

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Tommy Angelo
11-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Here are my thoughts from over here on apparently some other planet.

When somebody folds before the flop, I figure he is weak. After a player limps, I figure he's got somewhere between a raising hand and poo poo. But when someone RERAISES before the flop, there is one thing I am definitely not thinking:

"I'm pretty sure he's fairly weak here."

Tommy

nykenny
11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
I think Venh meant "weaker than usual 3betting hand" because of the stare-down. anyway, the rounderz kid played pretty bad. 77 without the 7c is such a auto muck for me in this situation, even after 3 betting btf.