PDA

View Full Version : Couple NL tourney hands for review 30+3 on UB

Hotrod0823
11-17-2003, 04:21 AM
I am the leader at the table with T13325. Blinds are 150/300 and I am on the Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

One caller from UTG+1 with T7400 calls the T300

I Raise 4+ BB to T1350

Blinds both fold and UTG+1 calls

Flop J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 bets min T300 and I only call <--- first Mistake

Turn: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG+1 bets T3750 uh-oh Rather than fold like I should I go all in hoping to scare him off with a bigger hand but he calls. And shows Q 10 vs. my A K

River doesn't matter. I lose my flopped straight to a full house and I am left with T5925.

Now I have to ask the question:

First was my raise big enough?

How did he call with Q 10?

Should I have moved all in post flop? I think I know that answer? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hand #2:

This was interesting in only that I ticked off the player I was up against:

I held K/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. I have T12000 and the player in MP directly across raises all in preflop with T2000. Blinds at this point are 300/600.

He has been stealing my blinds from that possition with modest raises all night so I press it and make the call. Mistake? Yes but it turns out okay.

I show my Suited KJ and He has unsuited AK.

Flop 8KJ, turn 9, river 4. I win the hand and he has a parting shot.

Was I being over protective of my blinds?

Is calling and Additional T1400 worth it with KJ suited? If not how big of a raise should I call?

Should I just let the steals happen? This obviously wasn't a steal but in general what is a good rule of thumb?

- Hotrod

All this being said I did get a great run of cards and managed a 2nd place ! Although maybe I just got really lucky. Two dimes says I lose that 2 / 3 times. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit: Figured I should put my out hand up too.

After a tough beat: My AJ with a flop of 5 A A is beat for half my stack by 5 5. and I am left with T30k my opponent had T110000. And blinds are 1000/2000

BB I am dealt 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB calls and I check

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <--- about as good as I could've asked for or so I thought. SB bets min 2K, I raise the pot to 6000. I am down to 22000. He calls.

I am not sure what he is playing at this point. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif [8/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] Okay I still have top pair an open end straight and flush draw.

SB bets 2K I make a terrible move and decide I have to have the best hand and with all the draw how could I be wrong.

I decide to go all in with my top pair and my something like 20 outs. 9 diamonds for the flush. 2 eights for trips, 3 sixes for 2 pair, 4 fours (-1 diamond), 4 nines (-1 diamond).

The losing hands I am up against assuming I don't improve are the bigger Pocket pairs or two pair from the board.

Well I ran it through two dimes and it is almost a coin flip. Was my logic flawed is that too much of a risk? It cost me 400 bucks?

crockpot
11-17-2003, 10:33 AM
First was my raise big enough?

yes.

How did he call with Q 10?

because he is an idiot. the fact that you even asked indicates that you either haven't been playing online very long, or haven't taken notice of how your opponents play.

Should I have moved all in post flop? I think I know that answer?

yes. after your opponent bets min, he is either bluffing and you won't make much more from him anyway, or he has a good hand or good draw and will call your all in as a big underdog.

hand 2: you're getting about 2:1, so i would call against most players here, since short stacks can sometimes get desperate. i would rather have at least an ace to show down, but we can't pick our cards.

hand 3: well, i can't say whether your logic was flawed because i wasn't there, but you should not be eager to put in all your chips if you expect to get called and you expect it to be a coin flip. this is especially true late in the tournament, when the other players gain when you get into a confrontation. in order to be a winning tournament player, you have to reserve your all-in showdowns for hands where you are way ahead, and rely on stealing pots to get you through the rest of it.

Bozeman
11-17-2003, 01:10 PM
" this is especially true late in the tournament, when the other players gain when you get into a confrontation."

Irrelevant here, cause they are heads up.

Push on the flop, when you are the favorite.

J.R.
11-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Hand 1: I don't think just calling is that bad, as there are few hands that you don't want to take your chances with here. Give him enough rope to hang himself, there's no flush draw, hope he bets the turn and lower the boom after milking another bet.

Hand 2: If you have seen him be aggresive with middle pairs and garbage call, but if he has to have an Ace this might be a lay down. Ignore the suited, you have KJ, a hand that is dominated by most raising hands. I tend to ignore prior raising actions and focus on how an opponent played their short stack, as many people's raising tendancies change as they become short stacked. Did he tighten up looking for a good double up hand when his stack got low?

Hand 3: You should have been all-in on the flop, once you raised and he called you will have a tough time getting him to fold the turn, especially when he leads into you for only 2K. Its like he is baiting you to raise again. I would have called the turn in your shoes, as you are a dog against a better 8, an overpair, two pair, or straight and have little chance to induce a fold.