PDA

View Full Version : Security Certificate warning cashing into Empire...

ElSapo
11-17-2003, 02:08 AM
...moving some money over to Empire Poker. When I went to deposit, I got a security alert saying "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site..."

Anyone know if this is normal? To be honest, it's been a while since I cashed into Empire or Party and I just don't remember if I saw this before.

Lori
11-17-2003, 02:13 AM
It's not normal.

It happened to me cashing out the other day. I tried twice to contact live support, but they were playing their cut off tricks, so I haven't been back.

Lori

ElSapo
11-17-2003, 02:18 AM
Must just be Empire?

I cashed out of Party earlier and did not recieve this note...

Lori
11-17-2003, 02:20 AM
It was Empire.

The difference between certificate and actual address was the certificate is for www.empirepoker.com (http://www.empirepoker.com) and the address is www2.empirepoker.com.

If I knew what www2 was (and I'm sure many here do) I'd be able to work out if it was safe. (Which I'd guess it is)

Lori

gabbyy
11-17-2003, 02:56 AM
The, "WWW2" prefix just means that it is a secondary server hosting the same information. Some sites have multiple servers to handle all of the traffic. The "2" Just means second server in line to handle overflow from the main server.

Cyndie
11-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Generally, the "Security Certificates" seem to have little force. They are pieces of virtual paper, that promise that the site in question will be honest, but don't define what that means. They charge a fee for a year and then when the year is over, the certificate lapses.

Does anyone know of any certificate that has actually ever refunded money to a player?

That is the problem...sites find that the certificates are meaningless, and do not bother to renew. Then the "certificate" company has no clout.

The only way I can see any group that has any force is a group of actual players, and we all know what the chances are of getting players to cough up dues to belong to any organization that would benefit them!

Well, maybe if players only played at sites that took a small amount of *player* rake money...and funded a group of player advocates...and players actually stayed away from sites that didn't honor the things...like a clear policy against all in abuse, player bankroll security, live help that knows poker, Lorinda...what am I forgetting?

tiltboy
11-17-2003, 10:27 AM

ElSapo
11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
...so do people generally think this is legit?

ramjam
11-17-2003, 12:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Generally, the "Security Certificates" seem to have little force. They are pieces of virtual paper, that promise that the site in question will be honest, but don't define what that means. They charge a fee for a year and then when the year is over, the certificate lapses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, I think all the certificate is intended to confirm is that you're logging onto the site you think you're logging onto and that traffic is encrypted with SSL (whatever that might be). The certificate provider is not promising you that the site has excellent customer service or that the owner won't disappear with your bankroll.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Well, maybe if players only played at sites that took a small amount of *player* rake money...and funded a group of player advocates...and players actually stayed away from sites that didn't honor the things...like a clear policy against all in abuse, player bankroll security, live help that knows poker, Lorinda...what am I forgetting?

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't suggested who these "player advocates" might be? Frankly, I'd rather keep on bonus whoring and leave the market to set the right level of rake than have pennies skimmed off my meagre bankroll to fund a bunch of ineffective trough-swilling boondogglers.

thomastem
11-17-2003, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I'd rather keep on bonus whoring and leave the market to set the right level of rake than have pennies skimmed off my meagre bankroll to fund a bunch of ineffective trough-swilling boondogglers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a boondoggler? Perhaps a critter I can add to my stable?

SamJack
11-17-2003, 01:07 PM
I've had the same issue. I cashed out no problem.

Sam

ramjam
11-17-2003, 01:48 PM
boondoggle (http://www.bartleby.com/61/45/B0394500.html)

astroglide
11-18-2003, 12:40 AM
they're looking like serious amateurs with this crap. it's safe - i verified they have control of the www1/www2 subdomains - but certs are cheap and they should have multiple ones or have their servers behind a load balancer.

partypoker and intertops are the 'same site', without the IT issues...

tiltboy
11-18-2003, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
boondoggle (http://www.bartleby.com/61/45/B0394500.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I saw that. The Boondoggle Saints, good flick! Willem Defoe at his swishiest.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif: don't leave home without it.

Inthacup
11-18-2003, 01:56 AM
Willem Defoe at his swishiest.

The "there was a FIREFIGHT!!!" scene still makes me laugh my ass off. I don't know if that was intentional humor or not, but it was hilarious.

Lori
11-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Lorinda...what am I forgetting?

Thread about Pro Poker's security certificate (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=inet&amp;Number=197759&amp;Forum=A ll_Forums&amp;Words=thawte&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searc hpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=1year&amp;Main=197759&amp;Search=true #Post197759)

They may not be the first thing to be checked, but I check all security certificates from time to time.

Lori