PDA

View Full Version : Session summary - Any suggestions?

psychprof
11-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Because I play mainly at Pacific, I can't use PokerTracker to analyze my hand selection. So, I decided to keep a summary during one session to see if I'm holding to my "starting hand" guidelines. Turns out I limp too often with questionable hands. At the time that I do it, I'm sure I make some justification based on the table conditions, but it's still an eye-opener to see it in summary form. To anyone who doesn't/can't use PokerTracker, I recommend you do this for at least one 2-hour session. It was very helpful to see that I'm more loose than I thought.

Please take a look at the hands I limped and suggest ones I should be dumping. Are there any that you would raise?

The table was Pacific $1/2, and it started out tight-passive with only 2 to 3 players (out of 10) seeing the flop and almost no PF raises. Around the half-way mark the table became much looser as players came and went. FWIW, I finished the session on the plus side, making 3.4bb/hr.

Two hands I would like to comment on: I limped with 75s and 94s because 4 players limped before me and there was almost no PF raising at the table. Had there been fewer limpers, or a lot of PF raising, I would have mucked them. Is this a legitimate justification, or am I making excuses to play junk? (ps. folded both when I didn't hit the 4-flush on the flop)

Final comment: This was a really weird session where I got very few suited cards.

Thanks for any and all comments

Hands I Folded Pre-Flop
EP..........MP..........LP.........SB
Q2o........65o........92o........J7o
A5o........J3o........95o........K3o
K3o........K8o........Q2o........24o
35s........A6o........54o........K5o
J6o........T8o........34o........67o
K8o........A5o........A8o........T4o
53o........Q2o........82o........K4o
24o........J5o........T4o........T8o
A8o........A6o........Q8o........94o
T8o........T3s........79o........95s
T9o........J9o........84s........57o
T9o........KTo........J5o
A7o........Q4o........74o
J8o........J8o........T6o
J7o........94o........K9o
A6o.....................T3o
J5o.....................T4o
.........................T8o
.........................Q5o
.........................82o

Hands I Limped
EP........MP........LP........SB
33........KQo.......QJo........78s
66........88........ATo........KQo
QJo.......77........AJo........Q7s
Q9s......QJo.......89s........94s
............Q8s.......AJo
............T9s.......K4s
........................A8s
........................56s
........................75s

Hands I Raised
AQo......AKs........KQs
JJ........ AKo........KJs
TT......................QQ
........................AQs
........................QQ

*Hands from the BB are not included

WillMagic
11-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Let's see here....

There were no bad folds. All folds were correct.

You make some bad limps however.

From EP: QJo and Q9s were awful, awful limps.

From MP: QJo and Q8s were bad.

From LP: K4s and A8s were mediocre, though not horrible, as was limping with, yet again, QJo. I think you overrate this hand significantly - it is SOOO easy to be dominated.

Your raises were fine.

Essentially, you need to tighten up on your limps.

Will

Sven
11-16-2003, 11:26 PM
From EP I would play 33 or 66 for 1 SB in hopes for a set on the flop and QJ and Q9s I wouldn't even think about it. From MP I wouldn't have played Q8s. LP looks good to me.

Nottom
11-16-2003, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hands I Limped
33........KQo.......QJo........78s
66........88........ATo........KQo
QJo.......77........AJo........Q7s
Q9s......QJo.......89s........94s
............Q8s.......AJo
............T9s.......K4s
........................A8s
........................56s
........................75s

Hands I Raised
AQo......AKs........KQs
JJ........ AKo........KJs
TT......................QQ
........................AQs
........................QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to overvalue medium sized suited cards and big offsuits. QJo and Q9s are both easy folds from EP and the small pocket pairs could be trouble if the table is tight.

From MP, you should often raise with KQo after 1 or 2 limpers or first in. Q8s is still junk in MP.

Most of the other hands are playable for one bet and position with enough players in before hand. Without more information I can't really comment on any of the other hands.

psychprof
11-17-2003, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to overvalue medium sized suited cards and big offsuits

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt I'm alone with this problem, but still, bad is bad and I will have to work on this. I was pretty proud of kicking the "any two suited" habit (lost a lot of my fishy smell after that). To get to the next stage of proper play, I'll stop playing mediocre face cards out of position.

72o is still good for a raise from any position though, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
11-17-2003, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
72o is still good for a raise from any position though, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold-calling raises even with the powerhouse that is 72o is a mistake. You should be 3-betting this hand if you are going to play it.

bisonbison
11-17-2003, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cold-calling raises even with the powerhouse that is 72o is a mistake. You should be 3-betting this hand if you are going to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And remember to notify the table as you do it, so that they may properly scatter before your might.

squiffy
11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Just turn your 72o face up, slam your fist down on the table, and declare, "I raise." Who would have the courage to call?

rkiray
11-17-2003, 07:37 PM
You must be related to ThomasTehm