PDA

View Full Version : another general theory question

12-07-2001, 07:21 PM
I have found that my money makers (and losers) are flopped sets. However, I very rarely draw into a nut flush - and especially a nut straight. My general rule on flush draws is at least 2 of suit on the board with a pair (obviously top is preferred. Straight draws I have to be 4 to open ended - and if I can have a pair at the same time, life is good. Is this too tight for straight and flush draws? It seems that these are where the money is really made as you crack the AA, KK, set hands - but can be ultra expensive to draw to. I am only 29 and don't want to get into unimaginiative old man mode... but at the same time, I don't want to be a chasing fish.

All comments are very much appreciated.

Kevin

12-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Depending on the risk you are willing to take, your play may be too tight. Of course taking into consideration the texture of the game at the moment is very important too.

Your chances of making a flush and an open ended draw are good if you have players in the pot with you. I think you may wish to reconsider.

12-07-2001, 08:07 PM
You definitely don't need a pair in order to play a four-flush or open-ended straight draw. You're just throwing away money when you throw these cards into the muck on the flop.

12-07-2001, 08:29 PM
That you check-fold on the flop with flush draws (two in hand, two on board) makes you one of a kind. That alone might make you reconsider.

12-07-2001, 09:51 PM
Sounds like we have some of the same questions. I will chase with open enders and decent, though not necessarily the nuts, flush draws as long as there are enough people in the pot to make it worthwhile if I hit. Invest a little into your draws and rake in the big pot every one out of 4 or 5, just make sure the pot you drag has enough contributors to make it worthwhile. Are you having to pay 4 bets to chase? Maybe the game is much tougher than the games I play(I'd bet on it) I too am afraid that my play will become unimaginative, thoughtless and rocklike. I can't believe it when people enter pots with me after I've folded 15 or 20 times in a row, but they always do.

12-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Are you taking pot odds into consideration when you decide to fold or chase? Do you know what the odds are to hit your straight or flush on the next card? These factors must be taken into account when deciding when to chase a draw.

It is best just to memorize the odds for hitting the various draws. You also should try to keep track of how many bets are going into the pot. Everytime someone puts a bet in the pot, increment a count in your head. When you get to the turn, divide your count in half because the bets are now double in size.

In general, if you have a draw that is 4:1 and there are 4 or more bets in the pot, then you should go ahead chase. This is a little simplistic because you need to take into account the bets you will win on future streets if you hit your draw (implied odds). You also need to take into account the times you hit your draw but someone else still beats you.

I find that in most low limit games I play in, there are almost always pot odds to chase an open ended straight draw or a four flush draw to the turn and usually to the river (especially with the nut draw). This probably is not the case in tighter mid or high limit games.

Hope this helps.

12-07-2001, 11:47 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean by straight draws have to be 4 to be open ended but you are way too tight. Once you flop a four flush with two flush cards on board it is almost never right to fold, and that draw does not have to be to the nuts.

12-08-2001, 02:10 PM
how about getting theory of poker and reading it????gl