PDA

View Full Version : A hand I HAD control of, then gave it away.... why???

Gomez22
11-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Empire .50/1.00...... typical table

I'm in BB with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, MP4 calls, CO folds, button folds, SB completes, I check.

FLOP(5 SB): 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls, MP3 raises, folded to me, I 3-bet, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

TURN(7 BB): 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked around......

RIVER(7 BB): 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, UTG+1 bets, MP3 calls, I overcall.

How's my play here? The turn card scared me somewhat as I thought MP3 turned a flush. Then, the check-through on the turn freaked me out, as I had no idea where anyone stood. I figured my best bet here was to check/call the river.

Results to follow

Gomez22
11-16-2003, 02:35 PM
UTG+1 had A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for top 2-pair

MP3 had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif for top pair

Not my fault he can't raise it to knock me out, but for some reason, I feel that I played this weakly..... But then again, there's another side that says I played it in a somewhat "smart" manner.....

I know... after I 3-bet the flop, I was shown nothing and allowed them to draw freely, but I really thought the flush had me here....... Monsters? Could be, but I'm not too sure.....

WillMagic
11-16-2003, 02:42 PM
BET THE TURN!!!!!!

you absolutely have to. If someone raises you, then you have to consider that they ahve the flush. But you can't automatically assume someone has a flush, and you REALLY can't afford to give singleton spades a free card.

Other than that your play was fine.

Will

jbc
11-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Why indeed Gomez?!?

As has been mentioned, the turn needs to bet here. Giving people a free chance at a one-card flush is unacceptable when you have the best hand.

If you were raised, then call. But, you already had the straight, and the turn gave you an open ended straight flush draw. You missed a couple of bets here.

Play well,
jbc

Nottom
11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How's my play here? The turn card scared me somewhat as I thought MP3 turned a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think MP3 turned a flush? He raised and called a 3-bet. Looks like top pair to me. A flush draw is either calling your first bet or capping the flop depending on how aggressive he is. I'd put UTG+1 on the flush draw before MP3.

Bet the turn.

When the turn is checked through in your case, bet the river and call a raise.

Gomez22
11-16-2003, 07:17 PM
I don't know nottom..... It gets hard for me to distinguish when a player is raising for the flush draw and when he's raising for TP... at low limits, I'll see players raise for the four-flush against a single opponent... Also, I'll see it done when a bettor is immediately to the right of the raiser....... and the raisor is raising for the draw... NOT good poker playing, IMO.... it drives players out instead of keeping them in......

When can you determine if it's a flush draw vs TP at lowlimits?