PDA

View Full Version : Interesting short handed heads up situation

12-07-2001, 01:11 PM
UTG open-limps. He's usually pretty straightforward, and not especially aggressive. All fold to me in the BB and I look down to see AhJc. I raise and UTG calls.

The flop comes 8 3 3 rainbow. I bet out. UTG pauses for a loooooooooooong time. Then he calls.

The turn is the 8d, 4th suit. I bet into my opponent and he raises me. Hmmmmmmmm… Nope, don't believe you, I call.

River is the 6c. I check, he bets, I call.

Comments?

Results to follow

Dave in Cali

12-07-2001, 01:12 PM
Results

He mucked before I even showed my hand, so I didn't show it.

12-08-2001, 01:13 AM
If he is "not especilly aggressive" doesn't he probably have you beat? I could see calling an aggressive player, probably would but...

Did you have MORE of a read on him than you outlined in your post?

--

Will in New Haven

12-10-2001, 11:18 AM
His loooooooong pause was uncharacteristic of his usual play, so I was suspicious and decided to call it. I was watching him the whole time closely, and I just had a feeling he was trying to put a move on me, probably because he noticed I had been playing pretty tight (hadn't been getting many hands).

12-10-2001, 11:51 PM
As I suspected, you knew more than you let on. Not that you can include EVERYTHING in a post. Not that I will notice everything you put in. For instance, I missed the fact that you had posted and not made a voluntary call on one occasion. Knowing what you knew, it was a fine play.

Not enought to know how someone generally plays; it is a good idea to keep your eye on people, they change up on you.

--

Will in New Haven

12-11-2001, 11:33 AM
I figured when I read your post that you just missed the fact that I posted. Only if I was feeling pretty darn Magoo-ish would I play Q8s, but it's happened...

I originally started wearing glasses at the table because a man in AC folded a full house when I made quad tens on the river, and said "I saw your eyes bug out when that fourth ten hit the river." This was BEFORE I had shown my hand, (another player had called with a flush). I immediately went for a walk on the boardwalk and bought some specs, been wearing them ever since. I shows that everyone develops as a player, and NO ONE is without potential tells, you have to work on this. However, nowadays I wear the glasses more to conceal what I am actually looking at when the hand is going on. (I've developed since AC and have ways of avoiding giving away tells, I'm probably not perfect though, none of us are). Anyway, it was the fact that he ACTED, and his little acting debut was the first time I had seen him do it. When you act considerably differently than you ever have in the past, it tends to arouse suspicion. Had he just called or raised right away, I would have probably folded.