PDA

View Full Version : FossilMan's Foxwoods Trip Report, Championship Event

Greg (FossilMan)
11-16-2003, 10:15 AM
313 players entered at $10,200 apiece. All of the known top tournament players, with probably very few exceptions. Erik Seidel, Howard Lederer, Phil Ivey, etc., all out early. I draw my least favorite seat, #5 at a 9-handed table. I hate sitting in the middle, and having to constantly turn your head back and forth to see everything. It is so much better to draw the 2,3,7, or 8 seats, and have a full view of the table. My first table is #34, way back in the corner, and it's a good draw. I have Charlie Schoten (sp?) in the 1 seat, who's near the top of the CardPlayer rankings. A couple of decent local players, and nobody else who's known to me really.

Rounds are 75 minutes, and we start with T10,000 and 50,100 blinds. Nothing very dramatic the first round, but I'm down to T7450 due to some preflop raises followed by bad flops. I'm still running pretty card dead, and getting very few good starting hands, so I'm developing a tight image. During the second level, with 75,150 blinds, I win a very nice pot from Charlie. I'm UTG+1 and raise to T400 with 6s4s. Like I said, I have a tight image, plus there has been little reraising preflop at the table, so I figure to win the blinds or get called. Charlie calls on the button. Flop is As5d7s. I have a flush draw and open-ender, and like my hand a lot. I bet T800 into the T1025 pot, and Charlie quickly calls. OK, he must have an A. At least. Turn is an offsuit 3, my dream card. I bet T2000, and Charlie raises T4000 more. I think a little bit, and raise all-in. I've got Charlie covered, but barely. He has T4500 left. He eventually folds, and shows his 77 in the hole for a set. He was so sure I had AA he gave up a set after putting well over half his stack into the pot. He made the correct decision, but for the wrong reason. Actually, given the pot size, I'm glad he folded, because he had sufficient pot odds to make that call against my hand. I finish the level at T12,975.

We bust Charlie and another player, and get replacement players who are not great players at all. This is an excellent table. If I had an end seat, it would be as perfect as you could hope for. Level 3 is 100,200 blinds. Without ever playing any big pots, I move my stack up to T20,525. At almost the end of the level, they bust my table. We're probably down to about 250 players. My new table is at the opposite end of the room. I have an end seat, and a whole bunch of weak opponents. Unfortunately, I'm not here long before the table breaks, and I move to a table in the middle of the room.

My last table of the day is a very tough table. I'm in the 8 seat. I've got John Juanda in the 4 seat with a big stack. Toto Leonidas in the 5 seat with a decent stack. Chip Jett in the 3 seat with a good sized stack. Mimi Tran playing tight and aggressive in the 2 seat. Unknown players in the 1, 5 and 9 seats playing very solid. Only contributor is in the 6 seat, and seat 7 is empty. When 7 gets filled, it's a weak tight player. Good news that he isn't somebody who's going to be tricky to play against, but bad news because it's going to be hard to get a lot of chips from him.

It's level 4 now. Still 100,200 blinds, plus a T25 ante. I'm still running very cold, and doing a LOT more folding preflop than is typical. Plus it seems like everytime I raise, even though I haven't raised in a while, I get reraised and have to throw away a medium A or medium pair. I finally realize that I'm short enough that I have to play even tighter, and play hands so that I'm the one putting in the last raise, so I can make these very aggressive players give up a hand. I finish the level down to T13,700.

With my new strategy of reraising instead of putting in the first raise, I gradually move up during the next level, and finish the 150,300 T50 ante round at T18,925.

Level 6 is 200,400 with a T75 ante. I go on a bit of a rush, and work up a big stack. Then, I lose a very large pot to John Juanda. I raise his blind with AhKh. All fold, but he calls. Flop is Jh8h3d. He checks, I bet, he raises, I call. About T10,000 in the pot now. Turn is a Qd. He bets T4,000. I call. River is a small black card, maybe 4c. He checks, I check. He has JT and wins. I considered betting the river, but it is highly likely he makes the tough call. It might have been correct to make a good bet on the turn, but John is very good at sniffing out bluffs.

I steal my way back up to almost T20,000. Toto raises a pot in middle position to T1200, and I call on the button with 22. I could tell the blinds were going to fold, and I could tell Toto didn't like it when I reached for my chips. The flop is KdJd4h. Toto bets T2000. I think for a while, fiddling with my chips, counting out a call, restacking, etc. I really sense he wants me to fold, so I eventually call. Turn is a 5h, and we both check. River is a 3h, and he stacks his chips around for a while, and then bets T8000, leaving him with less than T2000. I think a bit, and still feel like he's weak. I call, and he taps the table, saying "I missed". I show my 22, and there is a big buzz around the table. A few hands later, Chip Jett raises my big blind, and when I'm thinking, he says "Don't be thinking I'm bluffing you, not after that call with 22." I finish the level at T31,025.

Level 7 is 300,600 with a T100 ante. That's T1800 per round, so even with T30,000, I can't be thinking about coasting. In the original papers, FW had talked about day 1 playing down to half the field. Well, we're already well below half, and they're going to have us play through level 8 before we break. I estimate we'll be down to more like 1/4 of the field by then.

This level goes poorly right away. Again, every time I bet or raise, I get raised and have to fold. I'm bleeding down quite a bit, about T23,000. I raise to T1600 with JdTd, and the guy behind me reraises to T3500. I call. Flop is Tc7d3h. I check, he bets T2000, and I raise to T7000. He agonizes a little and calls. I am sure he has no pair, or a small pocket pair below 7. Turn is a Q, and I check. I'm feeling he has few outs, so I'm going to give him some rope. He bets all-in, and I call. I feel he has AK or a small pair. He has AQ, and I fail to get lucky. That turn card killed me. If it were the A, I could get away without losing anymore chips, but not the Q, especially getting something like 6:1 on the call. I am down to about T8,000, below T10,000 for the first time since early in the second level, and feeling terrible.

A few hands later, I'm the big blind. John Juanda raises in middle position. He has been raising a lot of pots, and has been backed down a few times. In fact, I can't recall the last time he called or reraised when somebody reraised his initial raise. I look down and see 9c8c, and raise all-in for almost 5 times his bet. He considers for about 15 seconds, and calls. I'm very unhappy, figuring I must have run into a pair 99 or better, or AQ/AK. He has KQo. I'm very surprised he called getting not much better than 3:2 on the call. Flop is K42. Turn is 8. River is 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm alive, and have around T15,000.

We get to level 8, 400,800 blinds and T100 ante. Last level of the night. No more big hands for me, but I move from T15,800 up to T24,800 with some timely steals and resteals. Although the average stack coming back the next day is over T40,000, I'm happy with my play. I got AA once and KK once, and won nothing more than the blinds with each hand. I was otherwise dealt almost no really good hands, but made the most of what I got, with very few mistakes. The one key mistake was the JTs hand, where if I had check-raised all-in he says he would've thrown away his AQ. Problem is, I thought I had him beat and could milk him. I was right but didn't read him for the Q.

Day 2. Table 1, seat 3. Harry Thomas in the 1 seat with T15,000 or so. Freddy Bonyadi in the 2 seat with over T50,000. Alan something in the 4 seat with less than me. Senthil Kumar in the 5 seat with over T100K. John Juanda in the 6 seat with T35,000. Mohamed Ibrahim with T50,000 or so in 7. Alan Miller in the 8 seat with T29,000. I can't remember the 9 seat, but he was short-stacked. Blinds are T600,1200 with a T200 ante.

Button starts in the 7 seat. I fold the first couple of hands, and raise UTG with AQ the next hand. Freddy calls. flop is K98, and we both check. turn is 7, he bets, I fold. I hated to lose the first one, but I felt he hit that flop.

I fold my blinds, and fold around to my next big blind. I wanted to steal, but usually somebody beat me to it, or it just wasn't a good spot to do so. In my BB I get Th8h, and 3 limpers. SB completes, I check. Flop is 679, but it's all spades. All check. Turn is Qc, and I bet T4000. First two limpers fold, and Alan Miller calls. SB folds. River is 5d. I think awhile, trying to decide if Alan has the flush. I bet T5000, leaving me with about T7500. Alan asks how much I have left. He does some chip counting and stacking. Finally, he bets enough to put me all-in. I immediately call. He says good call, he only has the As. I show my straight, and have T40,000, my highest chip count yet.

I bleed off some more chips. Blinds, antes, and one failed preflop raise. I have T33,000. Alan has gone broke in the 8 seat, and the 9 seat is also busted. We had gotten Johnny "World" Hennigan, also known as "Flakes" in the 10 seat, with T140,000, down from his start of the day chip count of T170,000 and the chip lead. It is John's big blind, and I raise to T3000, my standard preflop raise this level, with AJs. All fold to John, who calls. Flop is QcTc8s, and my AJ is red. John checks, and I bet T4000. John immediately check-raises all-in, T26,000 more into a pot of about T16,000. Now John has been here for a couple of orbits, and is playing a lot of hands. He also loves to play draws very strongly, and that is how he amasses big stacks of chips in so many tournaments; by hitting those draws. I am sure I have at least 11 outs, assuming I'm currently beat. I feel that at best he has a Q, and that any K, 9, or A will be good for me. I also consider that he could easily have A-little suited in clubs, and I could have him looking for a handful of outs with me being ahead. I finally say "John, I have to gamble with you.", and push my chips in. John has KJ with no clubs. Turn is a 4, river is a 9. My queen high straight is no good against his king high straight, and I'm out. As it turns out, it was a great call, with him having only 7 outs against me. Over T70,000 in that pot and it went to the wrong guy.

It felt like the time I got nailed in the stomach playing in a doubles racquetball tournament in high school. At first you think you're OK, and then a couple of seconds later you're doubling over in pain. I guess there's always next year. Plus, now that the Tuesday night NLH tourney at Foxwoods is so big, you can win about $13K every week. Not the same as $1M, however, is it?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Ward
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Great post. Sorry that your had to lose that last hand, that way but it sounded like you played quite will. Good luck next year.

soda
11-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Excellent tourney, great post - thanks for taking us along for the ride! Good luck in the next big one.

soda

Mike Gallo
11-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Greg,

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fmonti
11-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Greg excellent post. As I was following your story I was hoping you would be still in the tourney at the end of the day. Would loved to have seen a 2+2 poster at the final table + a local NE player..Keep up the good work..You'll get there.

Toro
11-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Greg, excellent post. I was there with you on the 2nd day. I was at table 5 with 35500 chips, a little below average. I won't go into as much detail on the first day but all my key matchups were against Huck Seed. Quite a coincidence since I had some key hands against him in the $500 event final table where I finished 5th(he knocked me out and eventually won).

Early on he bluffed off about 12000 in chips to me when I had A,10 in the SB in an unraised multiway pot. The flop was something like A,8,3 and I decided to check since Huck was betting every pot that got checked to him. Sure enough, everyone checked, he bet 1500 and I raised 1500 and he raised 8000 and I reraised all-in. My read was that he had nothing and viewed me as weak player that he could bully off the pot. I was right as he didn't call my all in reraise even though it would have only been 2000 more to call. He immediately fired his hand into the muck, highly unusual for him as he is very deliberate. He cussed himself out for bluffing off most of his chips into the obvious nuts. Of course, I didn't have the nuts or anything close. My read was correct that he viewed me as a weak player, not capable of playing a medium strength hand that strong.

But then I overplayed AK(clubs) a little later against him when the flop came K,Q,J with one club. He had a set of queens and I lost a big pot when only 1 more club came(turn) and no ten.

But I fought back, got some chips and found myself in yet another confrontation with Huck. I'm in the BB with Q,7(off) and 3 limp in, including Huck. He was playing an incredible number of hands. I think he does this since he can usually outplay you after the flop. Free flop comes Q,7,4(all spades). I decide to check raise again. Everyone checks this time, including Huck, to the button who bets 2000. I raise it to 4000 and to my surprise, Huck calls as does the button. No warning bells go off(stupid) as I think they're both on a draw. The turn is the 10d and not wanting them to draw, I bet all in. Huck takes only a couple of seconds and calls(I knew I was cooked) and the button takes about 5 minutes. He shows the guy next to him the A(spades), I was half right, one of them was on a draw. He eventually folded. Now they tell us to turn our hands up and neither one of us wants to. Huck outlasts me and I turn up my Q,7 and Huck shows 2 low spades. I'm getting up to leave and the dealer turns a beautiful Q on the river. So I make it to the 2nd day like you Greg on a nice suck out.

Didn't know any players at my table except the great Johnny Chan. I knew that everyone would be fawning all over him so I decide to pretend I have no idea who he is and don't even acknowledge him even though he's seated right next to me. Just a stupid head game I was playing that I'm sure did me no good at all.

Table chip leader 120,000 was directly to my right which I liked since he would be acting before me. He was not very aggressive and told us all he wouldn't be taking any shots. So this was good, the chip leader was not bullying the table. Then they move him. And not long after, they move another big stack right into his seat. But this guy was a big time bully. At first, he was just making 3000-5000 preflop raises. After a couple of us came over the top of him(I reraised him 10000 with KK and he folded A,9 after a 5 minute stare down), he decided to change tactics. Now all his preflop raises were in the 20,000 - 40,000 range. He stole blind after blind. We weren't seeing any flops at all. My obvious strategy, wait for a big pair and go all in against him. Didn't take too long. I picked up QQ, he raised to 40,000 and I went all in with my 32,000. He was wearing this big ten gallon cowboy hat and says "you caught me pardner" and turns up 4,8(diamonds). I'm now thinking after I win this nearly 70,000 pot I should make the money(over $24,000 for 27th place) as we're down to 5 table(about 43 players). But it was not meant to be. Greg, like you, that's just how it felt, like I got kicked in the stomach when the dealer flopped 3 diamonds and since I didn't have the Queen of diamonds, I was drawing almost dead.

I yelled out an expletive, walked a few feet from the table but got it together to go back and shake the guys hand and he apologized for the hand. All and all it was a great experience. Unlike you Greg, I've never played in a big event like this but can't wait for the next one.

Your Mom
11-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Posts like this get me really excited to play. I can't wait to play in some big events like these. Thanks to you and Toro for posting your experiences.

Nottom
11-16-2003, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Level 6 is 200,400 with a T75 ante. I go on a bit of a rush, and work up a big stack. Then, I lose a very large pot to John Juanda. I raise his blind with AhKh. All fold, but he calls. Flop is Jh8h3d. He checks, I bet, he raises, I call. About T10,000 in the pot now. Turn is a Qd. He bets T4,000. I call. River is a small black card, maybe 4c. He checks, I check. He has JT and wins. I considered betting the river, but it is highly likely he makes the tough call. It might have been correct to make a good bet on the turn, but John is very good at sniffing out bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you consider putting in a big reraise here with your nut flush + overcards? It would have been really hard for him to call you and you have lots of outs if he did. I know that you don't want to put your stack on the line, but this might have been a good place to do so heads up against a good player who can make a big laydown.

NoTalent
11-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Wow, great posts guys! Good luck on the next one--I know you will be there.

CrisBrown
11-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Hi Greg,

Great job! John Hennigan's a great player, and I agree with you that he makes his living on well-played drawing hands (as opposed to people who go broke on poorly-played drawing hands). Anyway, you did great, congratulations, and thank you for the exciting report! I felt like I was sitting in the seat with you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris

Greg (FossilMan)
11-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Sounds like that Hoyt guy who is the chip leader at the final table. Sounds like he's not really that great of a player, just another one-speed super-aggressive player on a run of cards.

Greg (FossilMan)
11-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes, I considered it. That's why I wrote the bit about it might have been right to bet the turn. And I may have made a mistake not doing it. We'll never know.

Greg (FossilMan)
11-16-2003, 09:29 PM
for the kind words. I sure hope it's not too long before I win one of these big ones. I hate waiting. ;-)

shaniac
11-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Sounds like that Hoyt guy who is the chip leader at the final table. Sounds like he's not really that great of a player, just another one-speed super-aggressive player on a run of cards.

Just curious what you are basing this on. I always have trouble with an explanation that hinges on the concept of a 2 or 3-day run of cards.

And then I unearthed Scott Byron's RGP acount the guy:

" He was at my first table for a long time in this event, and played quite solid. He made a HUGE laydown in a big, big pot after re-raising me when I flopped top set (QQQ) and I moved in. If he had called (with his likely overpair), I probably would have busted him about five hours into the tournament. He took the remaining 9K after that hand and ran it up to about 90K in about 40 minutes, in an incredible
rush. I had never played with him before, so I did a little bit of research when I got back to my room last night and found that he won a WSOP bracelet in 1992 in Pot Limit Omaha. He's very solid, and careful."

Nice reports from both Greg and Toro. Thanks.

Shane

Toro
11-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Card Player hasn't posted the final table yet, Greg. Do you know who the others are?

Greg (FossilMan)
11-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Hoyt is the chip leader with a bit over T1M, Phil Hellmuth is second with something like T800K, and the other players are Chris Ackerman, Brian Haveson, Senthil Kumar, and Mohamed Ibrahim.

Greg (FossilMan)
11-17-2003, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Just curious what you are basing this on.

[/ QUOTE ]
The comment was based solely upon Toro's post, as I know nothing about this player personally. It seems clear to me that Toro's description and Scott Byron's do not mesh very well.

Maybe it's simply that I consider preflop raises of 10-20xBB to be silly, and the sign of a weak player, not a strong one.

The problem with these size raises is exactly what happened to him when he got lucky on Toro. He was risking 10-20 to win 3, and was bound to get looked up by a better hand too often to justify that price.

shaniac
11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Toro did not indicate that the ten-gallon reckless cowboy was in fact this Hoyt fellow and given Byron's account, it seems likely that it may have been a different Texan altogether.

Shane