PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions in bankroll size ("Inside The Poker Mind")

Cyrus
11-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Having recommended the book on a non-poker situation ("Other Topics Forum", don't ask), I re-read recently John Feeney's Inside The Poker Mind myself and here's a quote:

"Consider a player who's burning up money so fast that he will soon be faced with a choice of either quitting poker, or financial ruin.
Reading [books] may help such a player slow down his losses enough to keep him in the game as a long-term modest loser. ... This may cost him more in the long run."

Is this correct?

I had this concept discussed about Blackjack elsewhere but there the parameters are fewer. In Blackjack, when I consider the size of my Bankroll and calculate only what I currently have in the bank, I may be severely underbetting my advantage. (I assume throughout this post that our hero has the advantage, in Poker or Blackjack.) The way to calculate one's true BR is based on the well-known concept of the net present value of future inflows of disposable income. (I am making the assumption that our hero gambles/invests in Poker or Blackjack with his disposable income only.)

For instance, if all I have right now is $10,000 as DM (Disposable Money) but I will be getting another $10,000 in a month's time, I should be including in my current BR the present value of that future inflow (after discounting it against my cost of capital borrowing).

But is this correct for a losing player?

A player who is actually a losing player, as in Feeney's example, might be mucking the parameters big time: For example, he may not confine himself to DM only -- hence Gamblers Anonymous.

Then, there's the issue of perception, which I suspect is what Feeney alludes to, there. A player with $10,000 of monthly DM may be losing all of it, as a matter of fact, and not get 'hurt' or worried. He may lose $240,000 in two years' time, slowly, and the slowness of it may alleviate the pain. Or, he may lose in one big chunk tonight the NPV of the $240,000 -- say it's $200,000.

How he will do that? The player will borrow. (This will cost him the cost of capital borrowing I mentioned. and the player will repay the borrowing, this is not a factor.) But Feeney may be suggesting that losing in one big chunk an amount of money that's (mathematically) equal to the same amount being lost over a longer period of time OR LESS is a shock that jolts that player out of the poker economy. And the poker economy suffers every time a losing player opts out of the poker economy having lost LESS than his lifetime NPV of DM.

Is this what Feeney's saying?

A side issue arises, of course, when the player is losing slowly and thus feels (over-rates himself) he can borrow more than he can really afford! This mucks both the parameter of his DM and his assumed ability to repay. So, there's another issue to consider: If the losing player remains uneducated, he might bring to the poker economy more money (by being extravagant and risk-ignorant) than otherwise.

--Cyrus

PS : Note that Feeney stresses that all this is considered from the point of view of "players whose only interest is their own earn". In other words, no moral consideration enters this debate.

Mike
11-16-2003, 03:30 PM
I think what Dr. Feeney is saying is what you mention further down in your post. Some posts I have read players of go as far as 5K down in each of their first year. Less the second year and finally turn their game around enough to become small losers to miniscule winners.

The first year they dump a large amount of money because so many folks tell them to hang in there, and better play will result. Second year is more of the same. Third year, they break even and think they are doing good. After this they suffer controlled losing most sessions. By now I think they are numb to the losses, and believe whatever payoff they get from playing poker is worth the losses which are usually well disguised.

Now, instead, if they told their friends, "Hey, I dropped 3K playing 1K hours of $1-3 this year", and most of the friends advice is: You better hang it up, you will never be a winning player. They go through the, "I'm a loser" bit and get on with their life without poker being a part of it and only lost 3K over their lifetime.

John Feeney
11-16-2003, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But Feeney may be suggesting that losing in one big chunk an amount of money that's (mathematically) equal to the same amount being lost over a longer period of time OR LESS is a shock that jolts that player out of the poker economy. And the poker economy suffers every time a losing player opts out of the poker economy having lost LESS than his lifetime NPV of DM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Cy. Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I was just thinking, for instance, of a guy who might not want to start at really small limits, who might start out at 15-30 or so, dip into savings, and lose 15K or something in a couple of months. Even if that's not a catasrophic financial blow for him, it may be enough to scare him and make him say, "Jeezus, I don't need this hoo-ha anymore. I'm done with poker." Had he been a better player, enabled by his poker studies to lose, let's say, only 2K a month from disposable income, perhaps he'd have continued to play, dropping his 24K per year, year in and year out, (In his world there are no fluctuations. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) until Alzheimer's brutally undid all his studies in a horrific descent into late life financial tragedy, of which he would, however, be blissfully unaware. /images/graemlins/cool.gif