PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or does the TGC have just the perfect type of fish?

ajizzle
11-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Although many of you have major problems with TGC's poker software, I have taken quite a liking to the players there. By that, I mean they are the perfect suckers.

Now I know many of you play at Party, and my experience at PP, limited as it may be, shows that the best PF hand never seems to hold up. I often times get several callers to the river, only to have one make two pair or a gutshot straight.
I sometimes prefer limping PF with my fairly strong hands because the raise has very little effect on my opposition, and save money if I don't make my hand and don't lose money if I do make it, because they pay me off with anything.

Now, I'm not saying that I haven't been sucked out on at TGC, but the players are just good enough to know when to fold or call (thus making bluffing a viable option), but not good enough to beat experienced 2+2ers like myself and others in the OIC.

I think this all gets back to Sklansky and Malmuth's point in HPFAP, about how the topics covered in that book, and plays that many of us at 2+2 use, work in mid-stakes games against mediocre players, but don't apply to total fish.

I plan on continuing at TGC after the OIC is over because of this Utopic game that I find there, and all of the freerolls and giveaways they have.

Any comments?

Ajizzle

HavanaBanana
11-15-2003, 07:09 PM
I am also pleasantly surprized with the players there, and the overlay in the tourneys are unsurpassed of any that I have seen.
The Aussie final today got a sick +EV prestart, I am almost contemplaying entering however 500$ is more than I would like to invest.
Gl to you ajizzle, see you at the tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pokerwhore
11-15-2003, 07:12 PM
i agree with you man, GC gots some of the best promotions but man the higher limit games there are so easy!

Its like your just playing with rich idiots there who want to give there money away.

To me just easy money!

peace

StoneAge
11-15-2003, 07:41 PM
I plan to keep playing there, at least until y'all break everybody

MS Sunshine
11-15-2003, 08:41 PM
"Any comments?"

Yes, one.

"I sometimes prefer limping PF with my fairly strong hands because the raise has very little effect on my opposition, and save money if I don't make my hand and don't lose money if I do make it, because they pay me off with anything."

I'm looking thru all my books for advanced(I admit it, this is why I buy the books) players and I don't find this helpful strategy. Could you help me track down this page? Because I may have found another leak in my play.

MS Sunshine

ajizzle
11-15-2003, 10:03 PM
It is not something that is written in a book for Advanced Players, because most authors assume that advanced players don't play against total beginners.

Read the section on "exceptionally loose games" in HPFAP the 21th century edition. Here, Sklansky writes that a limp with AK or AQ, as well as some middle pairs is better than a raise, because your raise will not drive out the competion. This way you save money if you don't make a hand, and can still make money if you make a hand.

If you still need help, then hit me back, and I will try to help you.

Good Luck

Ajizzle

TwoGun
11-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Just hope prima doesn't lock your account. Most of the good players at prima have had their account unjustly locked at one point or another (mine is currently).

Prima has the worst support (I am talking about Prima, not the gaming club or the other networks). They will lock your account and not tell you why for weeks.

I am very angry as you can see, as I have played a lot at Prima for quite awhile now, only to have as a thank you my account locked and no one to tell me what the hell is going on.

ZeeJustin
11-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Let me get this straight. You like the players on TGC better than the players on party because they are slightly better?

Why would you want to play against players that know when to call/fold when you can play against players that are in effect making completely random decisions a large percent of the time?

Basically you are getting frustrated every time you are getting sucked out on. This is normal. What you need to do is realized that you are getting called by hands that shouldn't call you, and you are making money as a result. Next time you are betting the whole way, and getting multiple callers until the river when everyone folds, realize you just profited from these attrocious players that you do not like to play against.

The problem is this. You see their awful hands when they suck out on you, but you don't get to see their cards when these same awful hands don't hit.

Stu Pidasso
11-16-2003, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read the section on "exceptionally loose games" in HPFAP the 21th century edition. Here, Sklansky writes that a limp with AK or AQ, as well as some middle pairs is better than a raise, because your raise will not drive out the competion. This way you save money if you don't make a hand, and can still make money if you make a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being able to drive people out is not the reason S&M advocate limping. The reason one would limp with a hand like this is becuase it keeps the pot small so that your opponents will not have the correct odds to draw out on you those times the flop hits your hand. S&M recommend limping so that you may create a situation where your opponents will make mathmatical mistakes on later, more expensive streets. S&M also recommend raising with the same hands in games where people come in with virtually anything because your hand is so much stronger than the field. The only recommnend limping against people who play a little looser than they should preflop, and who play meekly and badly post flop. Some pretty specific conditions need to be met before limping can be correct.

S&M wrote this as a guide to advance players. Players who had enough table experience and theoretical knowledge to reckognize the texture of the game where limping would be correct, and the texture where raising would be correct. The problem with their advice is advanced players are not the majority of their audience. Most people who read the book for the first time are beginners(at least beginners in the act of playing Hold em well). I suspect most player who read this section do not correctly apply the concepts they learn. They would be much better off raising.

Stu

Gaming Club
11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just hope prima doesn't lock your account. Most of the good players at prima have had their account unjustly locked at one point or another (mine is currently).

Prima has the worst support (I am talking about Prima, not the gaming club or the other networks). They will lock your account and not tell you why for weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
TwoGun,

Hope it's not a Gaming Club account you're referring to -- if it is then PM us the details and we'll investigate (we'll be logging off the zoo shortly so don't worry if you don't get an immediate PM reply)

We can't speak for Prima, but regardless we certainly wouldn't accept one of our players not knowing why their account was locked. Let us know if we can help you

Re "Most of the good players at prima have had their account unjustly locked", we again can't speak for the experience of players at other sites within the Prima network, but we would hope your statement isn't true for our site ... certainly a lot of good zoo'ers have taken part in the OIC at our site and we haven't yet heard of any who were locked since it started

Gaming Club
11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Although many of you have major problems with TGC's poker software, I have taken quite a liking to the players there. By that, I mean they are the perfect suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks ajizzle ... this is the kind of post we like to see /images/graemlins/smile.gif