PDA

View Full Version : PLHE Hand - AQo on the Button

Big Jon
11-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Just won an indisputed 1600 playing 10/20 (play chips) PL @ UB. I'd like your feedback on it, as I'm sure there are a number of elements that I could use to refine my play.

I'm on the button and dealt: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

The whole table limps to me and I limp (pointless raising here, right?). The SB completes and BB checks.

Pot: 20SB

The flop comes down: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Ok, not bad. Top pair w/ second kicker. The whole table checks it around to me. Seeing that my hand is good, but vulnerable, I bet the pot (200), in hopes to drive out anyone on a draw, or buy it outright, though unlikely. I get too callers: a guy in MP1 who is loose and a poor player, but fairly aggressive when he thinks he's got the best of it. I also get a gal in LP1. This is her second hand and I don't know her disposition, yet.

Pot: 40BB

The Turn is: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Not exactly the card my Queen wanted to see. It's checked to me. I know that I need to bet, but I'm not sure how much. I'm fairly sure that I've got the best hand. I ended up betting half the pot (400). MP1 calls and LP1 folds. Heads-up to the river.

Pot: 80BB

The River: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

A complete blank. I'm certain I'm boss and bet the pot. My opponent folds. How'd I do?

-----

That was one of two hands out of 100 that I won. My cards were ice cold, but I ended up breaking even on those two wins.

crockpot
11-15-2003, 10:11 PM
unfortunately, it's hard to really learn at play money, because the players are so loose with their calling standards.

but if you ever encountered this situation in real life, i would definitely bet the pot on the flop. on the turn, your play seems reasonable, since there is no reason to suspect an opponent is on a decent draw. on the river, i might be inclined to bet less to get money out of a worse one pair hand, but against a tricky player or good card reader, i think i'd just check rather than re-open the betting and give him a chance to raise me. this is why you need to know your opponents at NL.

step up to the .01/.02 game. it's not the most realistic (particularly because medium pocket pairs get very overplayed), but it will provide you with a lot better experience for later on.

Big Jon
11-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for the reply. I will step up to the money rooms. I just wanted to get a game in for play chips so I could get an idea of the feel and pace before venturing anything. Now that I think about the river, I agree completely. I should have either checked, or thrown something not-so-threatening out there to encourage a few more chips from my opponent.

I'm sure once I hit the money rooms I'll have plenty more hands to post here! When the time comes, I'll be sure to do so. I'm always looking for ways to improve my game.

Rick Diesel
11-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Why is the K on the turn a card that you did not want to see? Either you were already behind to AK, and are now drawing dead, which is highly unlikely due to no preflop raises, or you are still ahead, which is very likely.

Rick Diesel