PDA

View Full Version : Another Pooh-Bah. A few things I've learned from 2+2

Joe Tall
11-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me hone my poker skills over the last 9 months. The list is too long to mention. I was a weak-tighty that turned LAG that turn maniac that has turned into a winning poker player. Thank you again.

Here is a list of things from 2+2 that I've learned:

1. Post hands - No Shame Posting. Post embrassing hands, hands you are proud of etc. You'll never guess how bad or well you played until you post it.

2. Respond to hands - Have no fear in responding with your gut reaction. Having someone correct your response is what has made me into a better player. (and this still happens!)

3. Talk poker, think poker, play poker. Just as Larry Bird told me when I was a kid: "think, talk, practice, play and do it again, kid. Everytime you stop, there is someone out there doing more than you."

4. Respect all posters. Try to be as kind as you can, everyone has a right to their opinion. Granted some off-base socialogical things arise now and then. (Yes, I'm guilty of it.) All in all try to keep you mind open.

5. Stay humble, stay proud. A lot of things here get misunderstood. It's in black and white and voices cannot be heard. Try to keep this in mind.

Thank you ALL!!

Love, Peace and Posting,
Joe Tall

JoeU
11-15-2003, 12:08 PM
The world is now oficially coming to an end! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congratulations on the new "elite" status here at 2+2.

Joe "Not so Tall"

Losing all
11-15-2003, 01:35 PM
It's awesome to get into the heads of so many top players, and to see that sometimes there is no right and wrong answer (See the 68's thread in high stakes for an example of this). BTW- I'll muck that trash every time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxPower
11-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Respond to hands - Have no fear in responding with your gut reaction. Having someone correct your response is what has made me into a better player. (and this still happens!)

This is the main reason I respond to posts. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how wrong I am. Fortunately, it hasn't happened that much.

It seems like only yesterday you passed 1000 posts. Congrats. The way I'm going I might be there soon.

Mike Gallo
11-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Joe,

This post almost brought a tear to my eye.

Well written and well thought out.

Thanks for helping me to improve my game. You an asset to Two Plus Two. You have made this a good experience for all involved.

You are to Two Plus Two what Cowboy is to Mohegan Sun.

GuyOnTilt
11-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Congrats on the milestone, Joe! You're an invaluable asset to this forum! I owe you a lot of thanks for your help in my continueing progress as a poker player. Keep it up!

GoT

Joe Tall
11-16-2003, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for helping me to improve my game. You an asset to Two Plus Two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, MG, we are all in this together and I appreciate your input as you are an asset as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboy is to Mohegan Sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Cowboy is entertaining at the table. As I tend to turn a bunch of rocks into drinking fools (although Fred G. Sanford is the very best at this).

I know Cowboy is overagressive and a bit of a LAG.
I know I can be overagressive, but I have never open-raised Q5s in EP as Cowboy did to me when I played with him as I 3-bet w/AA.

Just had to make that clear, fellow Pooh-Bah.

Keep up all the good work, MG, and thanks again.

Peace,
Joe

Joe Tall
11-16-2003, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like only yesterday you passed 1000 posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when your day job consists of 100 phone calls and you type 70 WPM, you can crank out the posts.

[ QUOTE ]
This is the main reason I respond to posts. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how wrong I am. Fortunately, it hasn't happened that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It hasn't happened that much beacuse you have excellent Game Theory, thanks for your help.

Peace,
Joe

Joe Tall
11-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Neo,

Thank you so much for responding to my posts. I absolutely enjoy when you step down on my posts and say, "Um, no Joe, you're wrong" and I respect that more than ever.

Peace,
Joe

jbc
11-16-2003, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3. Talk poker, think poker, play poker. Just as Larry Bird told me when I was a kid: "think, talk, practice, play and do it again, kid. Everytime you stop, there is someone out there doing more than you."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is an awesome quote. Did Bird really tell you this personally? What was the context, bball camp or something?

Congrats on pooh bah status,
jbc (new to the newbie status)

Joe Tall
11-16-2003, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did Bird really tell you this personally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he did. I was young (10 yrs old) at, as you guessed, basketball camp.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the context, bball camp or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I walked up to him after he gave a guest speach at Bob Cousy's camp at Holy Cross College and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Bird. What makes you so good?"

I guess I just needed to know?!?!?

Peace,
JT

TheRake
11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Joe,

figured this was as good a place as any to make a milestone post for myself as well.

While I am no where near your status on this forum, I hope I can contribute something of value here over the coming weeks, months, and years.

I feel i have grown as a player over the last while in no small part to you and other generous posters. Even if growing means going from knowing nothing to knowing almost nothing /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Anyway!! Just a quick thanks and a way to make my 100th post.

TheRake

Joe Tall
11-17-2003, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a quick thanks and a way to make my 100th post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Keep posting and in no time you'll be beating 'The Rake' and other players with ease.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Nottom
11-18-2003, 12:54 AM
I wish I could write a nifty essay for my pooh-bah post ... oh well.

Barry
11-18-2003, 01:46 AM
OMG Joe a Pooh-bah. I guess that it shows that miracles can still happen.

Congrats Joe.

BTW - AF and I are planning to be at FW's this weekend as my travel schedule has slowed down a bit.

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
I'd welcome you to the Pooh-Bah ranks, but I've already moved on to Carpal/Tunnel (ouch). Only a matter of time /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HUSKER'66
11-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Congratulations!

Way to go JT, I've enjoyed your many contributions to the various forums here at 2+2 and look forward to the next couple of thousand....... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simon Diamond
11-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Joe,

Well done on the milestone, you are certainly a credit to these forums.

Peace,
Simon

Joe Tall
11-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Thank you King,

You are shortly behind me, in no time you get it. Now I have a new goal is to steal your crown! As long as the latest KotZ is on a night that I have plans like it always seems to be.

Peace,
Joe