PDA

View Full Version : Germany goes nuke free

Boris
11-14-2003, 02:44 PM
no nukes (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031114/wl_nm/energy_germany_nuclear_dc_2)

All I can say is wow. I had no idea the crazy leftists had so much power in Germany. The article says that Germany will phase out all of its nuclear plants over the next 25 years.

STADE, Germany (Reuters) - Germany switched off the first of its 19 nuclear power stations on Friday, launching what it calls the world's fastest withdrawal from atomic energy but a policy that may still be reversed if the opposition takes power.

Germany's center-left government struck a deal with industry in 2000 to close all nuclear power plants by about 2025, the Greens making a phase-out a condition for forming a coalition with Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's Social Democrats in 1998.

However, it is still unclear if Germany can meet the deadline and how it will replace atomic power, which provides a third of its electricity, while also meeting commitments to cap its emissions of greenhouse gases produced by fossil fuels.

With little fanfare inside the control room, the Stade plant, Germany's second oldest, ceased operations on Friday morning with the simple pressing of two buttons.

"All rods are engaged. We are now out," said shift leader Bernd Schroeder as the reactor near Hamburg shut off.

Greens Environment Minister Juergen Trittin said Friday's closure showed nuclear power had no future in Germany.

"No country is pulling out as quickly as Germany. Up until 2020 one nuclear power plant will be closed on average every year in Germany," he said in a speech

The Greens held a party in Berlin to celebrate, but operator E.ON said its 32-year-old reactor would have closed anyway on purely economic grounds without government pressure.

Opposition parties have threatened to reverse the withdrawal. Within government, Trittin is at odds with SPD Economy Minister Wolfgang Clement over how much to promote renewable energy as coal subsidies are phased out as Germany seeks alternatives to make up the nuclear power shortfall.

EUROPEAN LEADER

Like Germany, Belgium and Sweden have also announced nuclear phase-out plans. Sweden closed one reactor but postponed further closures after protests from energy-intensive industry.

France, which relies on nuclear power for 80 percent of its electricity, and Britain are keeping their options open to build new nuclear plants to replace aging ones.

Finland, the only country in western Europe expanding its atomic energy production, is soon to start building its fifth nuclear reactor.

"There's little sign of Europe following Germany. If anything it's going more in the opposite direction," said Berthold Hannes, analyst at consultancy A.T. Kearney.

"Germany's conservatives could also reverse the decision if they came to power. I don't think there will be any new nuclear plants, but the present ones could have their lives extended from 32 years to, say 50 years, or even 60 years as in the United States," he added.

Germany's VDEW electricity association urged the government to extend the lives of nuclear power plants, saying it would help the country keep to greenhouse gas limits. It called Stade's shutdown a routine closure, not an ecological triumph.

German Friends of the Earth (news - web sites) was also not celebrating, saying some of Stade's output had been shifted to other nuclear plants.

Despite winning the pledge of an end to atomic power, anti-nuclear protesters are still a force to be reckoned with in Germany, with thousands earlier this week disrupting a shipment of nuclear waste returning to a German storage site.

The reprocessed fuel did complete its journey from France with the help of 13,000 police, but protesters secured extensive media coverage and ensured the nuclear industry remains a costly burden -- at least for the state which footed the policing bill.

Work on dismantling the 672-megawatt Stade nuclear reactor is due to begin in 2005, once its fuel has been removed.

brad
11-14-2003, 03:07 PM
theyre being phased out here too.

just not cost effective when liability and waste costs are factored in.

Boris
11-14-2003, 03:16 PM
You really think nuke free is the way to go? What's wrong with disposing of the waste in some 2 mile deep cave in Utah?

brad
11-14-2003, 03:30 PM
im not stating an opinion; just look at the last time a nuke plant was built, and (lack of) plans for future construction. (and operating life i guess).

im just saying decision has been made.

adios
11-14-2003, 03:56 PM
"theyre being phased out here too.

just not cost effective when liability and waste costs are factored in. "

Like in California? Uh wait a few years and see the price of natural gas which has risen a lot over the past several years. Or maybe the power plants will start using a nice clean fuel like coal /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

brad
11-14-2003, 04:00 PM
well if none are planned to be built now, how long u think it would take to get one up and running?

i mean policy could change, but at present they are being phased out, last plant built in early 80s i think. operational life around 30-40 years but thats more of a guess im not really sure.

adios
11-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Don't know brad but I do believe that the USA lacks a credible energy policy and that our reliance on natural gas for many things including fuel for electric power plants will make us dependent on yet another foreign import. Importing Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) will become a lot more prevalent IMO. I think natural gas was up over 7% today. Natural gas injections have been fairly strong for the past several months but the price has been climbing none the less.