PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded QJo

Rico Suave
11-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Again, pretty typical party 1/2 table.

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Rico has Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

EP1 limps, EP2 limps, MP2 limps, MP3(poster) checks, CO(poster) checks, Button folds, Rico limps, BB checks

Flop(7 SB): J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Rico checks, BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets, CO calls, Rico raises, BB 3-bets, EP1 folds, EP2 caps, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Rico calls, BB calls

Turn(12 1/2 BB): 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Rico checks, BB checks, EP2 bets, MP2 calls, Rico calls, BB calls

River(16 1/2 BB): 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rico checks, BB bets, EP2 raises, MP2 calls, Rico folds, BB calls

Does anyone play this one differently (like folding the flop when it comes back to me capped?)

--Rico

Robk
11-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Your chances of having the best hand combined with your chances of improving to a full house make this an easy flop call IMO.

JTG51
11-14-2003, 02:49 PM
I think you played it just fine.

JDErickson
11-14-2003, 02:55 PM
My thoughts.

I would have definately called it down. These limits you just never know. With no bet before him on the Turn EP2 could have anything. I might have bet out on the Turn and saw what he did. Depends on his past hands.

Jim

Joe Tall
11-14-2003, 03:21 PM
On a 2-flush and 3-straight board you are much better off betting out than trying to check-raise this flop.

Your 2-pair is extremely vulnerable and could be beaten on this flop.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Rico Suave
11-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey Joe:

quote: On a 2-flush and 3-straight board you are much better off betting out than trying to check-raise this flop.

Could you help me understand this better. Should I bet out so that in the likely (with this board and this field) event that I am raised I can 3-bet?

When I checked with the intention of raising, I did so b/c I thought it unlikely to be checked around with this board, and if the bet came from late position I could face much of the field with 2-bets. I know my 2-pair is very vulnerable with this board.

Thanks for the input /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

--Rico

Rico Suave
11-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey Jim:

I would have called it down on the river if the 3rd heart had not fallen. I was pretty confident that at least one of them was on a heart draw.

--Rico

Joe Tall
11-14-2003, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I bet out so that in the likely (with this board and this field) event that I am raised I can 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet out because you have a good hand but have a chance to be behind. You bet out for information. If you are raised, and feel as if you need more information then you can 3-bet. In addition, if your hand is good, you can trap the middle players for 3-bets.

Peace,
JT

JTG51
11-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Rico, I would have check rasied also for exactly the reasons you gave. Check raising good but vulnerable hands on the flop from EP in loose games is a very useful play.

lil'
11-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Joe,

Although I usually bet out and hope to 3 bet, I think JTG is right about check-raising this one. Wouldn't it be nice to give someone with a 10 or J or weak Q a reason to fold? If you bet right out, they can call and have odds or near proper odds to draw to a five outer.

Those on flush or straight draws will be hanging in there regardless.