PDA

View Full Version : a flop game

scotnt73
11-14-2003, 11:21 AM
A friend of mine told me awhile back that low limit(no foldem) poker was all about the flop and not the river. Ive always taken this advice to heart but im starting to question it. He said either you flop something or a really good draw or you fold. I usually raise preflop with the premium hands but allot of times ill come up with 2 overcards on the flop vs my pocket jacks with 3-4 people in the pot. By his logic i should fold to a bet and save the money for a more dominating hand. Is this logic flawed? I have great dicipline but should i be throwing these away? I do play ultra aggressive when i have a hand. Remember we are talkin no foldem here. Thanks for any advise.

Joe Tall
11-14-2003, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine told me awhile back that low limit(no foldem) poker was all about the flop and not the river. Ive always taken this advice to heart but im starting to question it. He said either you flop something or a really good draw or you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

A general concept in No-fold'em is "The flop fits or fold". He is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
I usually raise preflop with the premium hands but allot of times ill come up with 2 overcards on the flop vs my pocket jacks with 3-4 people in the pot. By his logic i should fold to a bet and save the money for a more dominating hand. Is this logic flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should fold here, not because you're saving money because you have a losing hand. JJ is a dominating hand and the next time you have it in the BB after 7 limpers, raise with it!

[ QUOTE ]
I have great dicipline but should i be throwing these away?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise w/JJ and get 5 callers on a flop of KQx and someone bets into you, you shouldn't even have to think about it, fold.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

MaxPower
11-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Your friend is advocating the "fit or fold" strategy for low-limit games. This is pretty close to being correct, but there is a little more to it. In a loose game the pots often get big enough that you are correct to call with some not so strong hands. The trick is learning to identify those situations.

Posting hands here will help.

Ray Zee
11-14-2003, 11:56 AM
its all about judging the strength of your hnad against the opponents. this applies on every street. as you get farther into the hand the pot gets bigger and you have to be more confident if you intend to fold. generally dont play when it looks like you are beat early in the hand. and dont play on after the flop with hands that arent likely to hold up to winners or dont have lots of improvement possibilities.
as more people are in against you, you need bigger hands to win.