PDA

View Full Version : Which puts you more on tilt?

Sooga
11-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Or for those of you that don't go on tilt, which gets more under your skin? Getting sucked out on for multiple hands in a row, or missing huge draws for the same number of hands in a row? Or something else? Personally I think it's not making draws... people sucking out on me I can handle, since I know everyone gets lucky now and again.... but when I miss draw after draw I can't help but think that the world has turned against me!

balkii
11-14-2003, 01:19 AM
i dont go on tilt too often from things like cold cards or missed draws. i occasionaly go on tilt from other peoples terrible plays and sucking out. the bulk percentage of my tilt is from making mistakes that i KNOW i shouldnt have made.

Robk
11-14-2003, 01:31 AM
I never mind when my opponents call down and beat me. The ones that irritate me are where they give an absurd amount of action with a ridiculous hand, then win. Like I have aces and the flop is Ks qs 6d and we cap it. Then the turn is the As and I get checkraised. Then the river is the 2s and he wins with pocket sevens with the seven of spades.

Michael Davis
11-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Sooga,

Aren't most of the players who never go on tilt also in the pot with a lot less draws then other players? I experience people sucking out on me a lot more than I experience missed draws. I think any winning player would have to say this.

Now, that doesn't mean missing draws isn't more frustrating, but certainly the infrequency of being in on a draw makes it less so.

I play so few hands, I'm excited to just throw chips in the pot. I don't care who wins.

-Mike

Sooga
11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Actually on the contrary, if you fold, fold, fold, then you pick up QKs and the flop comes JTsX, and you end up with king high, then you fold some more, pick up 89s and the flop comes 67sX and you end up with 9 high, I get even more tilted, since I don't play that many hands and now that I have one, I can't get anything to come out of it.

Plus when you people suck out on you, you realize that they're not gonna get there 95% of the time, so that's comforting. But when I miss multiple draws where I'm about even money to make at least top pair, I get even more frustrated.

LetsRock
11-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Having a slow session bores me more than it bugs me. While it's frustrating to catch 1 playable hand an hour and get a belly flop to go with it, it's part of the game. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Getting drawn out by a player with a reasonably legitimate hand doesn't bother me too much, again it's part of the game. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Getting drawn out by a fish with crap (J2 off?) bothers me a bit. (Especially when there were pre-flop raises making fishing expeditions REALLY bad choices.) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Watching someone else get drawn out by a fish with crap also bothers me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(I have this pet peeve about "fairness" and it makes me nuts when I see someone doing something "right" and penalized for it, whether it's me or someone else.)

Getting consistently drawn out by a fish (or school of fish)with crap for several consecutive sessions makes be absolutely ballistic! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Luckily playing on-line allows me to shout at the walls, sit out from the table and blow off some steam before I look at anymore hands, so that hopefully the tilt factor doesn't affect my play and no-one in the game can see it! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cjx
11-14-2003, 12:19 PM
The thing seems to be really setting me off lately is when I sit down at a table and then the table almost immediately breaks. I guess it's a side effect of playing online with 5000 players ready to fill other tables, but what the hell... people seem to abandon ship as soon as one person goes away or leave the table.

cjx

Fianchetto
11-14-2003, 02:44 PM
I second that one. When we cap the flop, me with my flopped set, and him with his inside straight draw. Sheesh, talk about disguising your hand, when he hit his gutshot I paid him off all the way. You wonder what he was even doing in the hand, calling 3 bets cold preflop with J8. Well it was Party 2/4...

nykenny
11-14-2003, 05:06 PM
the thing that gets me most (i hardly tilt anymore) is:

i get substandard cards for hours while the table are all going nuts with trash and playing badly. during the same time every time i play i end up being behind (out flopped or just behind like AK vs JJ).

Kenny

Schneids
11-15-2003, 09:23 AM
I get most bothered by fish who are Know-It-Alls at the table, especially when they are totally clueless. There's always this burning desire for me to tell them off when they say something wrong, though I rarely ever do.

For example: "How can you make that call, I raised it PF and on the flop, don't you think I had a good hand?" I'd just want to say, "no sir, you're raising and overvalueing all of your hands it really was a quite easy call."

MrBlini
11-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Without a doubt, having a monster hand and failing to realize that someone else has flopped the nuts is the #1 tilt factor for me. I know that my biggest hands are going to hold up most of the time in hold'em, but when they don't because they weren't ahead the moment the flop hit the board, I get frustrated. I feel like I've been outplayed by the fish, which I have. Just this once.

One thing I now try to keep in mind is that even the worst players sometimes are dealt or flop devastatingly good hands, and when they do, they tend to have a pretty good idea of how to get my chips in the pot: they slowplay the aggressor. (This works, of course, only because it is so well concealed among the many hands in which they call off chip after chip. It's a costly way of disguising your good hands, but you know that.) It is really hard to avoid these situations because I am the favorite in any number of hands that would play identically up until the fish says "gotcha", and I'm not going to back off my aggressive style just because of the spectre of terrifying holdings across the table.

I always try to remember to say how very nice the hand is, because I usually do want them to try the same play again in the future. QTo is only going to flop the nut straight 1% of the time. It's just that 1% that gets me steaming.

Mind you, if I play QTo for whatever reason (probably open-raising from late position) and KJ9 rainbow flops, I don't get too worked up about it.

mr_jmac
11-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey,

I rarely tilt because of a bad beat. I rarely tilt from losing money. I rarely tilt when I make a mistake and win a pot.

However, I have tilted on occasion when the following occurs:

When I lose a pot and in my post hand analysis (in my head) realize I made a mistake. This mistake is usually calling some one down when I shouldn't have, failing to make a bet or raise, bettting when I shouldn't have or failing to fold on an earlier street etc.

This can set me off to tilt on the ensuing hands. I've refleted on this many times and I am positive that the losing of the hand is not the primary trigger for tilt. And it is not from being results-oriented. I tilt when I make a play (when I know better) and fail to reach the decision quickly enough in the heat of the moment.

For example, sometimes I will lose to a bad beat while calling an opponent down and in hindsight realize that I made the correct plays and calling this particular oppponent down was correct. In this case I don't tilt.

It is those cases where with a few seconds to reflect on a hand I realize I made a dumb play in which I know better. And what really gets me tilted is when I repeat the same error within the same session (or against the same player) or previous session.

Later,
JM

Bozeman
11-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Strangely enough, the most common (of very uncommon things) cause of tilt for me is when I get rewarded for a bad play, namely when I suck out. It doesn't happen very often, and if I was playing rings I would just take a break, but as a tourney player, I need to be more able to take advantage of the stack and image these occasional plays bring me.

Craig

CrisBrown
11-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi Sooga,

Excellent thread! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would say what is most likely to put me on tilt is when I fold a good-but-not-great hand pre-flop -- because I don't like my position, or the stage in the tournament, etc. -- and the flop would have run me over and left tread marks.

E.g.: With two limpers ahead of me, I fold ATos in the CO. One of the limpers is the big stack, I don't much like ATos in a multiway pot, etc., etc. And the flop comes 10-A-10.

Uggh....

If that happens two or three times in fairly short order, then I'm more likely to start thinking "Gee, you're playing too tight, Cris" and play those good-but-not-great hands in bad situations ... and ka-WHAM ... I limp in on ATos, and the flop is A-8-4, and I make a big bet, and someone comes in all over the top of me with AK, AQ, AJ, A8, A4....

Cris

Huskiez
11-16-2003, 11:29 PM
For me it'd have to be when I go all in preflop against someone else's inferior hand, which they don't find to be at all inferior (e.g. Q9o) and they catch to win and act like they deserved the pot.

RydenStoompala
11-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Neither. Hitting my draw and then having a single-celled spore across the table roll over a better hand that my mind did not anticipate because I personally don't hit three bets pre-flop with 2-7 off suit. But, it passes momentarily. I find lots of water really helps.

ChipWrecked
11-17-2003, 02:01 PM
I was in a live 3/6 HE last night, and almost all of the above happened. It was a true Calif. wild game, and I went up 1.5 racks early by jamming with good flush draws.

Then the cards died for me: my flushes didn't hit, I got a set cracked by a gutshot on the river, my big wired pairs were worthless. I had to go into 'zen' mode to stay off tilt: take a walk for a couple orbits, keep telling myself to just make the right decision 'this hand' and not worry about short-term results. I ended the session down two racks.

On the way home, I mulled over my play and didn't find too many mistakes, except for the last hand. I raised UTG+1 w/ QQ. By the time action came back to me, it had been capped. Seven of us saw the flop. I had an overpair, the board showed both straight and flush draws which meant my pair wasn't worth much. I bet out the flop anyway, action was capped again by the time it came to me. I was short stacked and called all in. I knew my chances were slim, but at the same time, the pot already had over $150 in it! I came in third to a set and a two-pair hand. So, I can't decide if I overplayed the big pair or not. My feeling was that I was already tied to the massive pot by the time the post flop action came back to me.

I was kind of on tilt in the car furshir. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Over time though, I believe I can crush that game. It's well worth the extra miles past my local room. /images/graemlins/grin.gif