PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set for review (TT)

Alobar
11-13-2003, 09:08 PM
I've been playing poker for all of 3 months now, and found this board a few days ago. I feel smarter already, thanx! /images/graemlins/smile.gif This is a 1/2 hand at party. Typical low limit game.

I'm dealt TT in EP. UTG calls, UTG +1 calls, I raise, LP call, both blinds call.

FLOP: 2, 7, T rainbow

BB bets out, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, I call (my thought was to raise on the turn), LP raises, SB cold calls, BB folds, UTG calls, I re-raise (this is where my question comes in, but ill finish the hand review first), LP raises again, everyone calls

Turn comes a 5 (no flush possible)

Its checked to me, I bet out hoping LP raises, but nope, everyone just calls

River is a 9
I bet out, LP calls, all else fold. I win, a check of the hand history shows LP had JJ

I've had a few hands like these and I'm never sure when to go about raising. Should I have not re-raised the flop and put the check raise on the turn if a blank hit? or not re-raised and then bet out the turn hoping LP would raise again? I was thinking that my re-raise after everyone called the original raise was a good way to put some cash in the pot. I would love to know what you guys think, or would have done in this situation. Thanks!

Alobar

JTG51
11-13-2003, 09:39 PM
I'd often just raise the flop when BB bets, there's nothing wrong with waiting till the turn sometimes though. If I had decided to wait this time, LP raising would not have changed my plan. I would have planned to check raise him on the turn and trap the players between the two of you for multiple bets.

Once you 3-bet and he capped the flop, I think you definitely should have check raised the turn. Betting and hoping he'd raise would be a much better play if you had a more vulnerable hand like an overpair. In this case it's likely that the only hands that are going to fold if he raises are hands that are drawing dead against you. You don't really want them to fold.

Sarge85
11-21-2003, 01:55 AM
I'd probably just call the Flop raise if the board was this raggedy - looking to check raise the turn. But there is nothing "wrong" with how you played it either.

crockpot
11-21-2003, 03:35 AM
i am really not a big fan of raising with tens when you know the pot is going to be four- or five-way. in most cases this is really not a better EV play than limping.

i think you played the flop fine. i would go for a check-raise on the turn, because a cold double bet may knock some of the EP players out here. a check-raise is a good way to trap them by making them pay on the 'installment plan'.