PDA

View Full Version : extracting bets with nut flush

psychprof
11-13-2003, 09:02 PM
I get the nut flush on a one-suited flop. How do I get the most bets in the pot?

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is EP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, Hero(poster) checks, MP1 limps, CO limps, Button limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(8 SB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, EP1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Turn(10 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, EP1 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button folds

River(14 BB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, Hero raises, MP1 folds, UTG 3-bets, Hero caps, UTG calls

I didn't raise the flop or turn because I thought it would drive out everyone after me. Was I right to try to keep people in or should I have raised it up on every street? Did I gain or lose bets as a result of my "strategy"?

Thanks,
psychprof

JTG51
11-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Not raising preflop was a significant mistake. Not only do you likely have the best hand, but it also plays very well multiway.

Waiting till the turn to raise is fine (although I'd raise the flop a lot of the time also) but I don't like waiting till the river to raise on a board where your opponents could be drawing. You'll miss out on the chance to collect bets from them on the river when they miss.

psychprof
11-13-2003, 10:24 PM
I would have raised preflop if I could have, but when you post at Party you can't raise.

I agree that I should have raised the turn. I think sitting down and getting the nut flush on the flop sorta rattled me. Didn't think this one out too well.

MaxPower
11-13-2003, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised preflop if I could have, but when you post at Party you can't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure of that? I think you can.

Why are you posting in early position? You can't wait a couple of hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lil'
11-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Raise pre-flop. What are you waiting for???

Edited to say you can raise after you post.

Also edited to say you should be able to wait 2 hands to post your Big blind. You have to have patience to play the game, ya know?

psychprof
11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Most of the time I wait until the blinds come around, but I do occasionally "get anxious" to play and post at a foolish time. When I do post out of the blinds, I only have four buttons: fold, check-fold, call, check-call. No raise button.

AHHH! I tested this to verify and discovered that there's only 4 pre-select buttons (as I described), but if you don't use those buttons then when its your turn the three BIG buttons appear: Fold, Call, Raise.

One, I don't post outside the blinds often enough to have noticed this, and two, when I have posted outside the blind I must have always used the preselect action buttons (which is probably something else I'm doing wrong /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

OK, had I known I could have raised my AQ, I would have. I guess it would help for me to learn the software before I ask strategy questions! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks guys.

Sarge85
11-21-2003, 01:53 AM
Raise PF.

Two reasons why - one - as you know you have a good hand.

two - I like the idea of them thinking i'm manical and raising on the very first hand i have /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nottom
11-21-2003, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AHHH! I tested this to verify and discovered that there's only 4 pre-select buttons (as I described), but if you don't use those buttons then when its your turn the three BIG buttons appear: Fold, Call, Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to avoid useing the in-turn buttons unless its to fold.