PDA

View Full Version : I have 3 options: call. raise or fold?

J.R.
11-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Live 15-30 with 2/3 blind structure and a 4 bet cap on all streets. I live in Colorado so don't get to play at this level very often in live games.

Cast includes a loose passive in the big blind who likes action and loves to make preflop coldcalls (BB), another loose, coldcalling afficianado who has made comments about everybody else open-raising (MP), and a tight aggressive player in the cut-off (CO).

MP open-raises, CO three-bets, I am in the small blind with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. If I cap I am pretty sure that the flop will be seen 4 handed. This was one of the few times I felt calling, folding or raising were all defensible plays. I have received some divergent feedback on the best course of action here, what should I have done? Thanks in advance.

rigoletto
11-13-2003, 06:17 PM
I think capping gives you more options postflop, so that would be my choice. Folding? Are you kidding?

GuyOnTilt
11-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I was in the exact same situation a week ago.It was the same blind structure, the same MP open-raiser, the same tight-aggressive CO 3-betting, the same calling station BB, and I was in the SB with AKo. I folded.

Drunk Bob
11-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Fold .Even in the BB fold .This hand does not play well against a 3 bet.

Ulysses
11-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Folding is fine, I guess. Calling can be kinda tricky and fun, I guess. I'd cap, though, since I have AK and AK is awesome.

Ulysses
11-13-2003, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand does not play well against a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the 3-bet.

PokerPrince
11-13-2003, 07:12 PM
I posted a hand that was almost exactly like this a couple of weeks ago. From the blind, against a reasonable threebettor, I muck the majority of the time. If acting after the threebettor, I would consider capping.

PokerPrince

James282
11-13-2003, 07:41 PM
If you believe the CO would isolate raise with AJ or less then you have an ok reraise here, but if he is as "tight" as you describe, that is he wont 3 bet with (maybe) AQ, or jacks or better, then entering this hand is -EV. Plus, you are way out of position against 4 people. Send it to the muck!
-James

ungar
11-13-2003, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think capping gives you more options postflop, so that would be my choice. Folding? Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love to play with you. Where can I find you?

lockitup
11-13-2003, 08:01 PM
I used to auto-cap here. For, as Ulysses already said, AK is awesome!

Now I fold.

Location, location, location.

rigoletto
11-14-2003, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your insightfull analysis!

RollaJ
11-14-2003, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about negative EV, flying out to denmark to play middle limits....

nykenny
11-14-2003, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to auto-cap here.

[/ QUOTE ]

capping is awful.

all or fold are alright.

nykenny
11-14-2003, 03:19 PM
ungar,

are you sure?? even though i disagree with Rigoletto on this topic, he is probably one of the TOUGHEST players on 2+2... i'd fly to Demark to watch, but not play. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kenny

Ulysses
11-14-2003, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
capping is awful.
all or fold are alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that folding is a fine option here - against reasonable opponents, perhaps the best (especially if CO is very tight).

But I can't imagine that capping would be awful.

As far as that goes, why do you like calling better than capping?

GuyOnTilt
11-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Since I just wrote up the results for my 2nd "Quick Preflop Check," I thought I'd put this one to rest as well. This thread is the exact same situation as a hand I posted a week or so back in the SS Forum. JR thought it would be nice to get the opinions of the Mid-Stakes players to see how they differed. The poll in the SS had something like 55% folding, 35% calling, and 10% capping. In the actual hand, I folded.

It should also be noted that this was during my OIC experiment, and so I only had about 175 BB's in my OIC bankroll for 15/30. If it's a borderline decision, then I think my short roll pushes it over to the folding side.

GoT