PDA

View Full Version : bargain sale.get yer stocks while hot??

scalf
11-13-2003, 09:02 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gifgeneral stock market comments..

fwiw...i think the fed has slain the ugly deflation dragon...the excess cash floating around is awsome..commodities are on fire...

i feel this is like the conditions at y2k...lol..remember that..lol..

so, scalf says,,,get in now big time...buy call options; or sell in money puts...

this bubble (#2) has to last long enug for king george 2 to win next nov. no one is going to say to dubya.."it's the economy stupid"

brilliant manipulation of the economy for political means....

jmho..gl all

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Mark Heide
11-14-2003, 05:29 AM
scalf,

The trend during November and December is the stock market to rise. I see the financial analysts (have you ever wondered how someone came up with the word anal?) as being overly bullish like they were in 2000. I believe Wall Street is only looking at the fabulous short term results of the 3rd quarter, but I think they should remember that this is due to several factors. First, the government anounced the end of war with Iraq in May, secondly, the tax rebate, and lastly, no new terrorist activities have occurred in the USA.

My prediction is the DOW will move over 10,000 by the end of the year. Consumer spending will not meet expectations after January and I expect the Dow to slip below 9000 by August. My recommendations are to sell any overvalued or speculative stocks by the end of the year, and switch to a value strategy especially in stocks that don't react to "feel good" economics.

Good Luck

Mark

scalf
11-14-2003, 08:35 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif..hey, how's the job going?

freezing up there in windy city??

lol

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Mark Heide
11-14-2003, 03:26 PM
scalf,

The company I work for found a way to increase productivity without incurring additional costs /images/graemlins/grin.gif . Two weeks ago they changed my schedule from 4 days to 5 days a week.

Actually, two days ago it was in the high 50's and late in the afternoon it went into the 30's with winds over 50 mph. Not bad, if you consider that Los Angeles had what looked like a foot of snow on the ground.

Buy low, sell high.

Mark

Ray Zee
11-15-2003, 01:04 PM
i agree with you on this one mark. but it is a tough decision whether to wait till jan. to sell to put yourself in the next tax year. most times i always advocate not making decisions based on taxes but here the time frame is close and the flucuation may not be great.

mikelow
11-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Would gold stocks be a good bet for next year?

Wildbill
11-18-2003, 10:46 PM
My guess is Europe gets on board. Looks like little risk of currency losing value against the dollar and you get the beginnings of some economic growth. I get a sense that this will be the real deal, the slow movers in the EU will start to get serious about growth and making changes. It won't take much to spur a nice run in the markets. People are so focused now on how they will be hurt by their trade competitiveness, but I think domestic markets with the euphoria of adding new growth markets to the fold will make this the play you will wish you had gotten on board.

mikelow
11-18-2003, 11:57 PM
I dunno about Europe, as Germany went from -.2% growth to +.2% growth (wow!). Europe has to get its act together, especially Germany. That means going further than Schroeder's Agenda 2010 (a big name for such a modest package of reforms). The euro could be replacing the dollar as a safe haven currency. I'm buying gold stocks on dips now.

Wildbill
11-19-2003, 12:11 AM
You wouldn't call that a risky game? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Forget Germany, as long as they just stop being a big fat drag on the economy then Europe moves up. Europe funds get into the UK as well and between things looking up in France and the strength of the periphery countries of Europe, I think the staid core of Germany can be just sit there and still not affect the economy too badly. Their low base for economic growth will help make the numbers look good for the next couple of quarters. I went to Europe last winter and things really slowed because of the leadup to war, it will be a cinch to top last years sorry numbers. And don't underestimate that runup to new members of the EU. Stock buyers will get into it, you watch. Things like that always are great to buy into before it happens and then sell just before reality sets in. I plan on getting out just before the official entry comes.