PDA

View Full Version : Easy, thin, or bad river bet?

Ulysses
11-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Party Poker 10/20 (5 handed)

I have 6c3c in the big blind.

Fold, fold, fold, SB (who is overwhelmingly average) limps, I check.

Flop: 2h, 4s, 5s

Good flop for me. He checks. He is not particularly persistent, so I check as well.

Turn: 2d

SB checks, I bet, SB calls

River: 4d

SB checks

Bet or check behind? If you say bet, how easy of a bet is this?

Coilean
11-13-2003, 08:53 AM
I would bet the river, he might call with an ace or even a king given your only bet so far looked like a steal. If raised, I would call pretty much instantly, as it doesn't seem to make much sense for him to be on anything but a monster or a move, and monsters are hard to come by. I doubt it's giving up much to not bet the river (it doesn't sound like he's the type to check raise bluff here and donate 2 bets to you), since if he's true to his not particularly persistent character, he should just fold most of the time anyway.

gaylord focker
11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
I think it's an easy bet, especially since it's on the net, and it's shorthanded.

RollaJ
11-13-2003, 10:09 AM
check behind, he probably would have bet a 5 on the flop ... so he was either hanging around with what is now a boat, or maybe 2 big cards or a draw. draw will fold, high cards may call or fold, boat will raise you

Ulysses
11-14-2003, 02:44 AM
I figured he would have checkraised the turn w/ a deuce and he'd be afraid I'd check behind if he rivered a full house. I bet, expecting him to call with an Ace. He called and my hand was good. He had 5d6d.

elindauer
11-14-2003, 03:23 AM
I think it's an easy bet, but, having read the results, it's clear that my logic doesn't apply to this opponent. Here it is: I think you would normally hear from someone who has a pair, any pair, on the turn.

I would bet this and expect to be called by any ace, as you did.

PokerPrince
11-14-2003, 05:10 AM
I'de bet here. Obviously not a great river, but you will still be called enough of the time with an Ace or a 5 to make it worthwhile. I'm a bit surprised he checked top pair on the flop and then checked his two pair on the turn, quite passive.

PokerPrince

Ulysses
11-14-2003, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit surprised he checked top pair on the flop and then checked his two pair on the turn, quite passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I was really surprised to see a 5. But I would have been even more surprised to see a full house.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty easy bet and was just wondering if people here would agree. Looks like most do.