PDA

View Full Version : For The Gun Lunatics Around Here

HDPM
11-13-2003, 01:20 AM
I have been trapped against my will in sporting goods stores recently and saw a couple of good toys. One is particularly hilarious.

This one is something z needs in montana. It is one of the new titanium S&W's. I like the super light 38's and 32 mags they came out w/ in titanium. I am sure they are nasty to shoot, but very easy to carry. But they decided that what was needed was a titanium .44 mag. This thing is ridiculous. It is extremely light and must be just awful to shoot. But for backpackers and such it is probably a pretty useful thing. It is utterly ridiculous and I have absolutely no use for it. So I want it of course. But I think z should get one first and tell me how it is to shoot a couple of boxes of full 44 mag loads through it on a boring afternoon. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Zeno
11-13-2003, 02:43 AM
I think you are right. Zee needs to test run this baby for us responsible gun owners around here. Fishing is about done and he has nothing to do but wait for the snow to pile up around his cabin so he can go shovel it.

I assume that the price tag on the titanium .44 mag is also ridiculous. But Mr. Zee is rich from poker winnings and his stock market scams amd all the extra bucks he is making on the soaring poker book sales, so I think he can do us this one small favor.

On an added note, for all. Does anyone have one of the "new" .17 rifles. They came out a few years ago but have taken off recently. I talked with a fly-fishing nut on the Rogue a few months back and he had one, a Marlin with a nice scope. He said it was great and shot very well - extremely flat, very fast, very accurate. Great for plunking or shooting small vermin or large vermin, if you hit'm in the head. Say a harbor seal or two. He paid about $225 for the gun, sans scope.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
11-13-2003, 12:00 PM
it just so happens i have a 629 44 magnum mountain man revolver. it is NOT ti. but is very light weight and shoots great. it is my primary carry weapon of choice. also 44mag. as you know shoot straight 44 so you dont have to get the kick. i even shoot custom keith 300 grain high power cast slugs thru it for when in bear country. these things will go thru most anything a large caliber rifle will. it is more accurate than a stnadard 629. also it is expensive. i have one of the first that came out.
as far as ti goes you pay alot for a few onces but may be worth it for small guns like a model 38 s/w. this way you can stick it in your pocket and not be too much a drag. but their airweight steel models are just fine. you can often find me with a model 36 in my pocket, no holster. remember its the bullets that weigh so much. the guns feel real light in the store till you load them up.

HDPM
11-13-2003, 01:30 PM
I have an airweight j frame, but the Ti is noticeably lighter. And the Ti 44 is lighter than the mountain man model.

slamdunkpro
11-13-2003, 02:05 PM
What is the configuration of the mountian man revolver? RB?

TI is an interesting idea, we tried making some ultra light slides with it a few years back, kept having a cracking problem. Then there is the gauling issue. Hell even the 629 has a steel hammer and trigger.

Ray Zee
11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
4inch with a tapered barrel and quite a bit lighter than the standard 4 inch 629. it came with rubber grips. it shoots much nicer than a standard 629 and more accurate. i dont know why. and its on an N-frame.
i like the rubber grips even though they are thinner and may kick more because of that. but it makes the gun thinner as well and softer on your hands when holding it and less slippery as that is an issue when out in the weather or when it is cold.

Zeno
11-14-2003, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.... and softer on your hands when holding it and less slippery as that is an issue when out in the weather or when it is cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
4inch with a tapered barrel and quite a bit lighter than the standard 4 inch

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep dangling these lines in front of everyone someone will bite. I can hardly restrain myself as is.

By the way, it sounds like you have a nice gun and it is equipped to handle just about anything you may confront in the wild. Do you pack it to some underground poker games on occasion?

-Zeno

Ray Zee
11-14-2003, 12:01 PM
zeno, my favorite pastime is shooting cigars out of smartashes mouths. come up and visit some time.

it really is a nice gun but still heavy for most to carry around all day. for that a smaller gun is better as you are also more likely to bring it.

slamdunkpro
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
It it a round butt?

I've got a Round butt 2.5 inch model 29 that was custome made be Mag-Na-Port for Second Chance. To a certian degree it's like carrying around a grapefruit with that big N frame Cylinder. But then again NO ONE argues with that big old hole at the muzzel.

HDPM
11-14-2003, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. for that a smaller gun is better as you are also more likely to bring it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, first rule of a gunfight: Bring a gun. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif