PDA

View Full Version : Short funny

Graham
11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Don't ask me about the veracity of this, but it's funny anyway...

"Police in Radnor, Pennsylvania, interrogated a suspect by placing a metal colander on his head and connecting it with wires to a photocopy machine.

The message "He's lying" was placed in the copier, and police pressed the copy button each time they thought the suspect wasn't telling the truth. Believing the "lie detector" was working, the suspect confessed."

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

brad
11-12-2003, 06:21 PM
yeah like 1 time babysitting they wouldnt behave so i put (unloaded) gun to their heads.

real funny.

HDPM
11-12-2003, 06:40 PM
I am pretty sure that one is true actually.

scalf
11-12-2003, 06:57 PM
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif..sounds like entrapment to me

gl /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Ray Zee
11-12-2003, 07:37 PM
i remember reading about that. it is funny. but i wonder how they were able to work the copy machine.

Michael Davis
11-12-2003, 07:38 PM
I laughed!

Wake up CALL
11-12-2003, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah like 1 time babysitting they wouldnt behave so i put (unloaded) gun to their heads.

real funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why an unloaded gun brad? Wouldn't seeing you slowly insert the bullets one by one have made your threat more effective and intimidating? At any rate I highly recommend that you load your weapons for reasons of personal security.

Oski
11-13-2003, 02:08 AM
When I took criminal procedure in law school, something like the was discussed (on one of the few days I attended). Anyway, such ploy rendered two confessions from two separate suspects. The confessions were ruled out as they violated the suspects' Constitutional rights.

Maybe someone knows more about this, but I remember in my case notes, there were many similar examples.

Jeff V
11-13-2003, 02:21 AM
they told me it was an old machine!! what could i do?

baggins
11-13-2003, 03:56 AM
i'm curious as to what part of the Constitution this violates?

it seems to me that their bluff worked, and the guy folded.

HDPM
11-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Most such confessions are allowed in. It is involuntary if the suspect's will is overborne, but trickery and deceit are allowed to a great degree. There are exceptions toss in totality of the circumstances, bla bla bla, but for the most part cops can use a lot of deceit. So don't talk the next time they hook you up. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oski
11-13-2003, 01:47 PM
HDPM: You practice criminal law, right? I was hoping you could answer Baggins' question. I am a civil litigator and am not too interested in looking this up. However, I guess this practice violates the 5th Amendment?

- Anyway, I remember a few cases being right on point, and this conduct was ruled unconstitutional...perhaps just in this narrow application.

HDPM
11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Yeah. I need to throw a short brief together on this now actually. I have an involuntary situation that doesn't implicate Miranda at all really.

Oski
11-13-2003, 02:22 PM
I always thought this was funny, too:

In my criminal law class we studied the elements of rape. One case, Michigan v. Moran, dealt with a doctor who diagnosed a woman with a terminal disease. The only cure was to have intercourse with someone carrying the antidote.

Surprise! The doctor happened to be one of the select few. The patient agreed to have sex, and was cured.

This was not rape, as it was called fraud in the factum - even though the doctor lied to her, she still agreed to the act.

This case was contrasted with fraud in the inducement, which is rape. In this case, the doctor bent the female (16 years-old) patient over the table for the purposes of giving her a vaginal exam. As the victim recalled. "At first I felt a cold, hard object...then soon after, it was replaced by a warm, soft object.

The lesson to be learned? If your doctor prescribes sex with him, at least get a second opinion. If you decide to go forth with the treatment, make sure it is covered by your health insurance.

HDPM
11-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah, every crim law book has that one. Of course there was one dude in my class who almost got lynched when we hit that case. Mind you this was at an extreme left leaning school in an extreme left city, with a bunch of very radical feminists sitting there. He asked seriously (and no, it wasn't me) "If you can't lie a little, how do you ever get any?" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

elwoodblues
11-13-2003, 04:09 PM
What does the school being left, in a left city, with radical feminists have to do with anything? If this were a right leaning school in a right leaning town with a bunch of conservatives in the class how would you expect people to respond? Maybe I'm being too PC, but why would anybody in a professional setting think that a question like that would be appropriate?

Seriously...imagine sitting in class at Harvard law school. A student raises his hand and asks the question "Professor, if I can't lie to a woman to trick her into having sex with me; how can I ever have sex?" Do you think the conservative professor would look at the student and say, "Well, first you romance her with a candelight dinner. Then, the trick to actually getting her to have sex with you is to..."

John Cole
11-13-2003, 04:16 PM
brad,

I just can't shake the image of the police needing only to procure the copying machine had they wished to interogate you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HDPM
11-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Well at a conservative school they would probably have reacted like I did, with a kind of quiet groan at the idocy of the question, or rolled eyes, or laughter. Rather than a simultaneous hysterical and violent shriek emanating from the depths of fanatics. Guess you had to be there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

elwoodblues
11-13-2003, 05:08 PM
I can't even imagine the response that question would have gotten when I was in law school...I would guess a mix of both groans and violent shrieking

HDPM
11-13-2003, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously...imagine sitting in class at Harvard law school. A student raises his hand and asks the question "Professor, if I can't lie to a woman to trick her into having sex with me; how can I ever have sex?" Do you think the conservative professor would look at the student and say, "Well, first you romance her with a candelight dinner. Then, the trick to actually getting her to have sex with you is to..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine at Harvard the explanation would go something like, "Well, you make partner at a big firm then go to a social function at a club and meet a woman...."

At Yale I would expect it to go something like, "Well, you start by hiring an intern...."

Where I went the answer would be something like "Start by either getting a sex change or becoming a law professor with a lot of 1L's and...."

j/k of course. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

elwoodblues
11-13-2003, 05:24 PM
The response to me would be "seriously, here's 100 bucks, go to the corner of..."

brad
11-14-2003, 01:35 AM
i already have a soliloquy ready for interrogation.

'i am not a number ... i'm a free man ! ' ...