PDA

View Full Version : Being bluffed in .5/1 HE?

PokerNoob
11-12-2003, 04:20 PM
What is the correct way to react to a new bettor on the river when the possible straight and/or flush card hits the river and you have trips? My current thinking is that at this level people don't bluff at you much particularly with a multiway showdown, so crycall and hope for the best. Also, you may get other people you beat to call behind you if you just call. If you raise, you fold anybody behind you that you beat and if new bettor beats you, you lose two.

Party Poker .50/1 (8 handed) Typical loose passive table. Still in first orbit.
Hero has 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO

EP1 limps, Hero limps, Button limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(5 SB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, EP1 calls

Turn(4 1/2 BB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, EP1 calls

River(8 1/2 BB): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, EP1 folds, Hero calls, Button folds

SB shows Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif and I take it down.

Brian
11-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi PokerNoob,

Going for the overcall is almost always best if theres a chance for it. Otherwise it is situation dependent, but usually just calling is best.

-Brian

[EDIT]: First person to offer advice in the Micro-Limit forum. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Tall
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
I know this is a loose-passive table limp w/a pocket pair. But with only one limper I'd fold 22 here preflop. Give me 3 and a 95% chance the blinds/button will not raise and I'm in.

I agree with your opening statement and find this fact more true live than online. I also feel, postflop, you played the hand perfectly.

Nice FIRST HAND POST!
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
11-12-2003, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First person to offer advice in the Micro-Limit forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done!

Question: what do you think of the limp after only ONE limper?

Peace,
JT

rkiray
11-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Congrats for posting the first hand in microlimits.

I think your logic is correct. At very low limits straight forward is the way to go. Crying call. I would not play a pocket pair lower than 88 unless at least two people had limped in front of me.

daryn
11-12-2003, 05:02 PM
the answer to every question asked in this forum is:

eh.. call. how much could it be?

MaxPower
11-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Yes, you should just call.

Also, notice that the SB made a bluff that has very little chance of working. Is that common in these game?

Joe Tall
11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Yo D,

A bet is a bet. When learning proper poker it doesn't matter if it's $20 or 2 cents.

Peace,
JT

CrackerZack
11-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Player notes help a lot here. When in doubt, call. My girlfriend plays the .50/1.00 on party all the time and she always calls here and it ends up being a bluff I'd guess at around 40%. But definitely enough to call. the conversation usually goes like this:

Her: "%$#@! The flush just crashed my party."
Me: "I'm sorry, you calling anyway?"

if bluff:
Her: "yeah. woohoo, he had nothing!"

if non-bluff:
Her: "yeah. %$#@, why does the flush show up everytime I have a good hand?!? GRRR!"

Somehow she's made about 600 BBs at this level with all these flushes allegedly "showing up"... might just be selective memory.

el_grande
11-12-2003, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yo D,

A bet is a bet. When learning proper poker it doesn't matter if it's $20 or 2 cents.

Peace,
JT

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I've been in the .01/.02 NL games a couple of times just to see what's going on and you'd be surprised at how many people fold when you come over the top of them for 30 cents.

Brian
11-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Hi Joe,

Not a very good limp IMO. I was only answering the question he presented, not critiquing his play on the other streets /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

Homer
11-12-2003, 08:38 PM
What is the correct way to react to a new bettor on the river when the possible straight and/or flush card hits the river and you have trips?

If a four-straight or four-flush comes on the flop, then gets there on the river, generally you should just call and go for overcalls, assuming there are players left to act behind you. This way you'll make the same amount or more when ahead and will lose less when behind. If there are no players to act behind you, you should be more likely to raise since you can't collect from overcallers and when heads-up your opponent doesn't need as much of a hand to bet into you, but often it is still best to just call, especially if you are against a straight-forward opponent. If a runner-runner straight or flush gets there on the river, it becomes closer as to whether you should go for overcalls or raise when opponents are left to act behind you, since it's more likely that you have the best hand and there is not as great a risk when putting the extra bet in the pot on a raise. You're really just looking at how to maximize the number of bets your opponents put in the pot. When it comes runner-runner and no one's left to act behind you, pretty much always raise.

I think this is the perfect type of question to be asking in this forum. I really think this should be called the "Beginners Hold'em" forum.

My current thinking is that at this level people don't bluff at you much particularly with a multiway showdown, so crycall and hope for the best. Also, you may get other people you beat to call behind you if you just call. If you raise, you fold anybody behind you that you beat and if new bettor beats you, you lose two.

All good, valid points.

On to the hand...

Preflop - Fold small pairs from the CO after only one limper. You're not going to get the multiway action you need to make this hand profitable, generally speaking. Sometimes you can raise preflop to get it heads-up against a player who will give up on the flop when s/he misses, but I wouldn't recommend doing this until you have a greater feel for the game, and even then, you probably shouldn't do it with a pair as small as 22.

Flop/Turn - Good, resist slowplaying with the straight and flush draws out there.

River - Good, for the reasons already discussed.

-- Homer

MaxPower
11-12-2003, 09:30 PM
So you should get her to post on the micro limits forum so we can criticize her as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NoTalent
11-12-2003, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you'd be surprised at how many people fold when you come over the top of them for 30 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made me spit out my drink LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jedi
11-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Proper poker should be learned at every level. Micro limits just make it easier to take a loss.

That having been said, in limit poker, isn't it generally a good idea to call the river for 1 bet if you have a hand? The pot is just relatively too big to be folding this just because a scare card hit the board, right? No limit poker is a different story entirely because of the potential big bets. In this case, I would also have called and hoped for the best.

[ QUOTE ]
Yo D,

Peace,
JT

[/ QUOTE ]

ElSapo
11-13-2003, 01:16 PM
That having been said, in limit poker, isn't it generally a good idea to call the river for 1 bet if you have a hand?

Depends on your hand, the player and the board.

Calling a bet when the board has four to a straight and four to a heart flush, and you have the black aces, may very well be pointless even if the its only one more bet.

Generally the action and your opponent will dictate. Yes, laying down for one bet can be a disaster in a big pot. But sometimes you're simply beat.

On the hand in question, however, I think you have a fairly easy call.

daryn
11-13-2003, 02:24 PM
joe,

i know you are correct.. but it just seems weird sometimes.. when playing .01-.02, you want to make correct decisions, and sometimes you have to fold on the river for that 2 cents, but it just seems weird.

Joe Tall
11-13-2003, 02:31 PM
jedi,

I hope you are not related to 'Rusty Jedi' as I will never answer that bias, sexist, a$$' posts again.

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is just relatively too big to be folding this just because a scare card hit the board, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are generally correct with this statement but you should read Homer's post in this thread and get a great explanation.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall