PDA

View Full Version : pocket queens

hamshow90
11-12-2003, 03:31 AM
This happened in a tourny where the top three places get sent to the ballagio to play a tourny there is no other payout. 220 players in and we were down to less then 30, the blinds were 400-800 I have 10,000 in chips and am in the small blind, i beleive the table is 9-handed. I get Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif middle position player calls 800 and late position raises to 2000, I just call and the middle position calls flop comes 9 rag rag and two clubs on board. I check, middle position checks, and late goes all in for his last 4000. I know if i re-raise all in I can get the late player heads up and stand a better chance, but I am confident that the middle position player is very weak and I want him to see one more card hoping he will have to comit to the hand as well. so I just called the all-in hoping to get middle position in as well ( he has 6000 at this point). middle position folds and I knock out the late position player. MY freind who was at the table told me I played that wrong. I can see his point where as I can re-raise all in and get rid of the middle position player, but I felt he was weak and wanted him to call, and as long as a king or ace does not fall on the turn I would have proceeded to move all in then. Me and my freind are gonna keep tally of the replies so at the end of your reply as if your voting, give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down for trying to greedily take out 2 players instead of 1

SoCalPat
11-12-2003, 03:48 AM
As with all big PPs, they play better against fewer opponents. Heads up here is significantly better than three-handed, especially given your position. And if an overcard falls to your QQ, you have to dump it.

Thumbs down on this one. You should have made a significant reraise before the flop and gotten the MP out of the picture. If you're just going to call PF, you have to push all-in when the flop comes 9-high and force the LP PF raiser to make a decision.

Instead, you're letting him take control of the hand, while still letting the MP off the hook. Not good.

45Player
11-12-2003, 11:26 AM
4000 is two thirds of MPs stack, so if he’s going to call that with 2 players already in the pot he must have a hand that is good enough to call 6000. So in this situation I would probably raise to 6000. This has the added advantage of making him think that you just want to knock him out so as to get heads up with the all-in player. He may think that you suspect that the all-in player hasn’t very much, and that you are reraising with a not-so-great hand yourself. He may thus call you with a slightly weaker range of hands. Of course this depends on the personalities involved, and what his perception of you is.
So I give you the thumbs down, but I don’t think there’s a huge equity difference in either play.

However, your play on the rest of the hand was very poor. Not raising pre-flop was very weak. Checking on the flop with 2 clubs out there was even worse. If it had been checked around you would have been sick. There was 6800 in the pot. You have 8000 left. Go all in and be thankful for winning a nice pot. If you knew for certain the LP was going to bet, then checking is ok. But you shouldn’t take that chance.

Chicago Kid
11-12-2003, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking you should have put in a substantial pre-flop raise.

You could have corrected that by going all in with the overpair on the flop. You say the middle player is weak, so what do you suspect he's holding? Some weak hands here could include XXc, A-x, K-x. By not raising on the flop, you're giving up free cards for someone to catch you with.

Here's the question: What do you do when an A, K or club falls on the turn, and a player shoves all-in? You had the chance to avoid this by raising pre-flop or moving in on the flop. If someone's going to chase, make them make a possibly game-changing decision to do it.

Thumbs down. You're begging to get sucked out on.

hamshow90
11-12-2003, 03:57 PM
thank you for your posts guys. To answer your question chicago if an ace falls on the turn I can get away from my hand, and I would feel like a wetard. I really like what 45player suggested, making it look like I have not much and just want the all in guy heads up, that is probably what I will do next time, allthough next time I might also raise pre-flop and nevermind the slowplay, allthough in this case I anticipated the late player to go all in no matter what flopped, had I moved all in off the flop first he might have folded his ace high

MuckMuck
11-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Call me the odd duck but I have a different spin on the way you played the hand. I think you absolutely did the right thing calling the 2000 bet. If you had less chips I'd disagree with you but you had 10k entering the hand so I think you call with your QQ take a look at the flop and you can bail cheap if a A or K falls. Now with the flop being rags dont get greedy....reraise his all in bet and narrow the field to 2 as you dont want him drawing to a A or K.

Ignatius
11-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Given that LP only has T6000, you should move in preflop to get it heads up. Since you decided to flat call, you need to move in on the flop, to either get MP out or at least to create a side-pot.
I felt he was weak and wanted him to call, and as long as a king or ace does not fall on the turn I would have proceeded to move all in then.
And what, if an ace or a king fell? Would you really muck 2nd pair for only 2000 more? And what, if a club comes? No - you're committed to this pot, so you should move in right away on the flop. As for the tally: thumbs down for me.