PDA

View Full Version : Coilean, this is how we do it in California

Ulysses
11-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Two hands. First one I think there might be better alternatives to many of my post-flop decisions. Second one there's not much to talk about. Anyway, we see hands like this all the time out here - and get raised a lot.

15-30. Good games. My image is not squeaky tight, but people generally think I have something when I bet/raise.

Hand 1: I limp UTG w/ 77. 2 more limpers, both pretty reasonable players. Idiot raises on the button. He doesn't raise enough pre-flop and often overplays his hands post-flop. He probably has a big pair. Both blinds call and the rest of us call.

Flop Q27r

I like it. I hope button doesn't have QQ. Blinds check. I consider going the bet/3-bet route on the flop. But it might just be me and the button then. I decide to wait until the turn and maybe get a couple of other guys stuck for 2 big bets. I check ???.Checked to button. He bets. Both blinds call. Hmmmm... I consider checkraising now, but decide to stick to my plan since I expect this pattern to repeat on the turn. I call ???. One limper folds, now CO checkraises. WTF? No way he has QQ here. Maybe 22? Maybe AQ? I dunno. Button and blinds call. Now, I toss my plan out the window and 3-bet ???. CO now caps. WTF? Button and blinds call.

Turn Q275 (two clubs)

I bet ???. Should I have given CO or button a chance to bet? CO now thinks for a second and folds. WTF? Button and SB call, BB folds.

River Q2754 (no flush)

I bet. Button now raises. That leaves him w/ 1BB left. BB folds. If he had QQ all along, good for him. Any of the straights seem near-impossible. I 3-bet ??? and he calls all-in. You know what he has, right?

Easy 3-bet on the river even if he has more chips, right?

Hand 2

1 weak-loose limper. I raise in CO w/ QQ. BB (button from hand 1) calls, limper calls.

Flop Q56 (2 diamonds)

Check, check, I bet. Both call.

Turn Q566

I like it. Check, check, I bet. Both call.

River Q5662 (no flush)

Check, check, I bet. BB checkraises all-in. CO woefully shows her neighbor her missed nut flush draw. I call. You know what he has, right?

M2d
11-12-2003, 12:38 AM
four bet cap. Oaks?

Ulysses
11-12-2003, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
four bet cap. Oaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, no, AJs. I got the flop action wrong - I've been playing online too much.

What actually happened is that I 3-bet, CO 4-bet, everyone called, then I capped and everyone called. Then I led the turn. And CO folded for one bet.

Maybe calling the 4-bet then going for a turn checkraise would be better? I just figured that with four opponents on the flop, I'll just collect my guaranteed 2BB by capping.

The more I think about this, the more I think calling the 4-bet and checking the turn is better. I think it's very unlikely that both CO and Button will check on the turn. But I'd be sick if they did. Hmmmmmmmm....

Coilean
11-12-2003, 01:11 AM
It sure looks like he drilled a boat with a teeny pocket pair on the river in both hands, but maybe he was just playing AA strangely in the first hand, or slowplaying the monster 66 in the second hand. Even if I'm right, I'll be surprised here /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Ulysses
11-12-2003, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It sure looks like he drilled a boat with a teeny pocket pair on the river in both hands, but maybe he was just playing AA strangely in the first hand

[/ QUOTE ]

AA indeed on the first hand. I was pretty sure he had AA or KK. With both him and CO having some sort of big hand, I think a flop 4-bet call followed by turn checkraise is quite probably a more optimal line. I just can't help but cap in that spot with 4 opponents, though.

[ QUOTE ]
or slowplaying the monster 66 in the second hand. Even if I'm right, I'll be surprised here /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not quite, but he did river something good. 34 made him the nut straight on the river. Even in California, though, my full house is still good.

gaylord focker
11-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Hand one was interesting. I think you could make an aurgument for betting out, or waiting until the turn to go for a checkraise. I think I would lead out. Any sort of checkraise is much too likely to limit the field and shut out the players in between you too. This board is way to safe for that. I think you lead out, let the other the MP players call if they wish and hope the button raises you. I think then I would plan on check raising the turn, although it presents the same problem that you dont want to shut the other players out, but I think its still best. If hes over aggresive, then maybe you could plan on leading again on the turn so you could have a shot at three betting him with a bet or two trapped in between. (I understand the hand didnt play out like this, but I talking about your "plan" for the hand.)

Because the cutoff was generous enough to pump this thing up for you, I think your three bet on the flop was a nice play. However, if you were in a bigger game, or playing agaist better competition, I wouldnt like it as much. A thinking player is going to dump right in there pants if they see you smooth call that ragged, rainbow flop, and then all of a sudden come alive and 3 bet it. Thats a pretty scary move, and it usually means a pretty big hand when there is no draw on board. But like you said, you are in California, and nobody is going care about your 3 bet that much.

Sorry this post is a mess, its 6am right now.

Ulysses
11-12-2003, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A thinking player is going to dump right in there pants if they see you smooth call that ragged, rainbow flop, and then all of a sudden come alive and 3 bet it. Thats a pretty scary move, and it usually means a pretty big hand when there is no draw on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to question my play in this hand the second CO (who checkraised and 4-bet the flop) folded to my single turn bet (after my flop check-call/3-bet and cap). Maybe the right play in this situation is simply a function of what percentage of your opponents are idiots.