PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuracy in DS Tourney book?

Rushmore
11-11-2003, 10:12 PM
(I posted this in the tournament forum, but I thought I might get a better response here.)

DISCLAIMER: The following excerpts are not suggestions for general play. They are taken from an exceptional circumstance David had recommended for someone who had never played before, as a bit of an experiment. Please do not respond to The System itself, as this is not the point of the post.

In Tournament Poker For Advanced Players, David states the following in the section about "The System:"

"1. If someone else has raised in front of you, move in all your chips with aces, kings, or ace-king suited. Otherwise fold.
2. If no one else has raised in front of you, move in all of your chips with any pair, any ace-other suited, ace-king (suited or offsuit), or two suited connected cards, except for four-trey ar trey-deuce...

...Notice that the hands that she was to move in with (again, when no one raised in front of her) comprised about 13 percent of all the two card combinations. (If you don't know how I got that, stop reading this book right now. You are not ready for it. You don't know enough about poker. And, you deserve to lose.)"

I cannot do this math on the spot. Does this mean that I should quit poker? If so, what will I do to make up for the money I will be losing by NOT playing?

Zeno
11-11-2003, 11:58 PM
You are forgetting that Mr. Sklanksy has a very sharp sense of humor. And if you don't understand that; Well, it is just a crime against humanity.

Zeno

mike l.
11-12-2003, 12:27 AM
"I cannot do this math on the spot. Does this mean that I should quit poker? If so, what will I do to make up for the money I will be losing by NOT playing?"

youre not asking the right question. you see, oz says you dont DESERVE to win. it's like disobeying god. so stop playing. now.

the question to ask: "oh lord oz, how can i serve you?"

btw that's a pretty sweet quote. he really wrote that? im going to buy the book based just on that.

Sloth
11-12-2003, 03:41 PM
honest answer: The statement was "if you don't know HOW I got that..."

you don't need to do it on the spot, just understand how statistical distribution of cards work.

Depraved
11-12-2003, 04:32 PM
I asked the same question a month or two ago in the Theory forum. The thread was pretty big, and David replied. Here's the link:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=genpok&Number=341533&F orum=All_Forums&Words=4765&Match=Username&Searchpa ge=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=341533&Search=true #Post341533

Rushmore
11-12-2003, 04:48 PM
The more I thought about it after I read it (and posted here), the more I like your interpretation.

I think it's possible I was responding to the tone of the statement more than to the substance.

Thanks.

Rushmore
11-12-2003, 04:50 PM