PDA

View Full Version : AKs is a *better* hand than AKo, right?

BillW
11-11-2003, 09:20 PM
There is a startling pattern in my PokerTracker stats /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Each number below is BB won or lost normalized to won/lost per hundred hands played (about 3000 hands total in the database now).

AKo won 2.71; AKs lost 1.06
AQo won 1.69; AQs lost 0.86
AJo won 1.42; AJs lost 1.88
ATo won 0.67; ATs lost 1.03

It is possible that this is just a statistical fluctuation (it represents 30 suited hands versus over a hundred off-suits), but perhaps there's something about the play of these hands that I am not getting.

Here are three of the AKs hands. Any comments would be appreciated. I will do the same for the other hands after I have digested what I learn from this set.

UTG folds, and I as UTG+1 am dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. I raise.
Fold; call; three folds; BB calls.

Three see a flop of A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for 6.4 SB.

BB checks; I bet; fold; BB calls. 8.4 SB = 4.2 BB. Turn is 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.

BB checks; I bet; BB calls. 6.2 BB. River is T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

BB checks; I bet; BB folds.

These days I wouldn't bet into the flush at the end.

I am SB and am dealt A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif. New player posts UTG and checks (sure sign of someone who doesn't care about the pennies).

UTG+1 and CO call. I raise. All four call (including BB).

Five see the flop for 10SB: J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I bet; BB calls; new player raises; fold; CO calls cold; I call; BB calls.

Four to the turn for 18SB = 9BB: 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I check; BB checks; new player bets, all call.

Four on the river for 13BB: T/images/graemlins/club.gif.

I check. BB bets. New Player raises. CO folds. I fold. BB calls.

I am in CO and am dealt A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif. Gun limps; folded to me; I call; fold;
SB completes; BB checks.

Four see the flop for 4SB: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.

SB bets; BB folds; Gun calls; I call.

Three to the turn for 7SB = 3 1/2 BB: T/images/graemlins/club.gif.

SB bets; Gun calls; I call.

Three on the river for 6 1/2 BB: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Checked around.

Thanks!

Robk
11-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Your sample is way too small to draw any conclusions.

ElSapo
11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
AKs will add more variance to your results than offsuit. When I first started keeping stats, I showed much the same results as you -- AKs was actually a loser, AKo a winner -- rest assured, suited is better.

ArchAngel71857
11-11-2003, 10:46 PM
You need abou ten times the hands you have now.

Interesting though, fo rthe longest time AKo was my biggest winner, 100% over like 25 hands. But do not worry, AKs is better. When you have around 30,000 to 40,000 (that may even be too small) then it should round itself out.

-AA

sachinag
11-11-2003, 11:15 PM
What I find interesting in my stats is that I have roughly the same winning percentage (54.55% on 11 hands of AKS vs. 57.89% on 19 hands of AKo), but my winning percentage is way different: -0.02 BB/hand for AKs vs. 1.11 BB/hand for AKo.

What makes that intersting is that I really don't know what to do with AKo in LP if someone bets the flop and I only have overcards. (Of course, the same applies if I have AKs and I only have overcards and it's only a 3-flush or worse.)