PDA

View Full Version : Bad plays or bad beats?

mmahlin
11-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Can't help but mull these two hands over from then $200k guaranteed NL tourney at Party on Sunday. Right now I'm just shaking my head and laughing after a day of hanging my head and crying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand #1

Very early, eighth hand of the tourney if I recall correctly, and not much of a read on anyone. 20/10 blinds. Sitting in cutoff I get KK. 1100+ in chips. MP semi-shortstack (600+) goes all in. Everyone folds to me. I call. I wait for what seems like an eternity and then see the chips creeping across the screen to his spot. His hand: A4s Final hand: straight to the 5.

Hand #2

Blinds have just gone up to 30/15 (obviously it's still early). I stayed cool after the King Cracking and am still sitting on the 500+ that A4s left me with. In EP3 I get two black kings. Fold to me and I raise 100. Everyone folds around to the button who calls. Both blinds fold. Two to the flop which comes:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet half my stack and button calls. The turn comes:

J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I'm all in and button calls. A rag comes off on the end and the pot slides over to the button. His hand:8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the A high flush.

Thoughts?

Paul2432
11-11-2003, 09:49 PM
The first hand is clearly a bad beat. All the money went in with you as a substantial favorite.

On the second hand, although most of the money went in with you behind, I would classify this as a bad beat as well. Your opponent cannot hope to call raises with 83s and last very long. Unfortunately for you he both made his hand and left you with a big draw. I think any expert would most likely have busted on this hand as well.

Paul

ZeeJustin
11-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Definately bad beats IMO.

wayabvpar
11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
The first is a bad beat (that would have sent my blood pressure through the roof, but I would have made sure to add that jackass to my 'must play with' list). I think you slightly misplayed the 2nd hand PF, however. I think a slightly bigger raise (4-5x the BB) is in order- you don't want to give anyone with a drawing hand a chance to suck out on you. Granted, he very well may call 150 if he called 100, but at least you are destroying his pot odds. Post flop, I think you played it fine- you had a draw to the nut flush on the flop , and Broadway with a nut flush draw on the turn. Bad beat (but another dumbass for your buddies list...future profit! /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).