PDA

View Full Version : My biggest hand I've ever played... was i right?

luckycharms
11-11-2003, 06:11 PM
after knocking out 7 opponents, a game of no limit hold 'em was reduced to my friend and I. I had a 3 to 1 chip advantage, but got worked down to about a 3 to 2 advantage. The guy I was playing, I knew was better heads up than me, so I was desperate to go all in and have him call. I get 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the hole, best hand I've gotten in 6 hands. I raise $10 (there's $180 on the table) trying to buy the antes. He calls. Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I got the gutshot flush draw, outside straight draw, and pair of 4s. I go all in, he calls with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Doesn't hit his flush, and I win.

question: who's hand was better after that flop? was he right to call me? would he have been right to call me if he had known my hand?

Thanks a lot

By the way, winner got 160, 2nd place got back their original buy in of 20

oneeye13
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
it is about a coin flip, with you having the slight edge. with the money in the pot, he was definitely correct to call if he knew exactly what you had.

soda
11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
If he enjoys a playing advantage of any sort, this is a terrible call. It's different if he's pushing in with this and gets called, but actually calling with it knowing you are at best 50/50 - it's very obviously a bad call on his part.

There is no way I make this call against an inferior opponent (as you have described yourself).

soda

felson
11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Oneeye is right. From twodimes.net/poker

pokenum -h kd jd - 4c 6c -- 5d 4d 7c
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 7c 5d 4d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd Jd 480 48.48 498 50.30 12 1.21 0.491
6c 4c 498 50.30 480 48.48 12 1.21 0.509

Zag
11-12-2003, 12:25 PM
I suspect you are over-valuing suitedness if you say that 4c 6c was the best hand you had seen in 6 hands. It is a terrible hand for heads up play. That said, you do still want to raise with little cards occasionally when heads up (or you are too predictable), and you might as well pick the suited ones to do it with.

So, if you usually would not bet such little cards, but this time you did for the deception value, then I am fine with it. I like the bet on the flop. Since you raised preflop, he would have trouble putting you on little cards (which is why you did it). Even if you are behind, you have a lot of outs. Finally, since he called a preflop raise, he probably does not have cards that will fit this flop and he will usually have to fold.

However, I think your bet might be a little big. You said there was 180 on the table, and you had a 3-2 advantage, which means that you had 108 and he had 72, more or less. So you bet effectively $50 into a $20 pot. Hmmm. If you had bet only $20 and he had come over the top for $30 more, would you have called at 3-to-7? I guess I don't hate the overbet that much. I certainly hate his call a lot more.

One note on terminology: You meant that you have the "backdoor" flush draw. "Gutshot" is another term for "inside straight." But we knew what you meant.