PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster baseball trade?

B-Man
11-11-2003, 12:00 PM
According to Newsday, a blockbuster trade has been discussed, which would include Nomar going to the Angels, Eckstein and some pitchers to Texas, and A-Rod to Boston.

Article on Blockbuster Trade (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-gms113536966nov11,0,5394618.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

I would love to see A-Rod in a Red Sox uniform, but it is hard to believe ownership would commit $45 million per year to two players (A-Rod and Manny). Pedro, Lowe, Varitek and Nixon (as well as Nomar) are all free agents after 2004.

This will be a very interesting off-season.

andyfox
11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Nomar's contract that he signs after 2004 will be in the A-Rod neighborhood anyway. So maybe the Sox figure why not have the best. Nomar is a helluva player, but A-Rod is the best. Perhaps Nomar's hitting troubles at the end of last year worried the Sox a bit. And it looks like Manny will be gone, one way or another, after next year (at the latest).

I think sometimes teams don't view their previous year's experience in proper perspective. If Posada's bloop hit is a bloop out, the Red Sox win the pennant. If Aaron Boone can make contact in game four in the 11th inning with the bases loaded and the infield drawn in, the Yankees win the World Series. Neither team needs to make changes because of how they did last year. There might be other reasons to make changes, but not because of how they fared in 2003.

B-Man
11-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Andy, I agree with all of your points, except I don't think Nomar's next contract will approach A-Rod money. The market seems to have really dropped since A-Rod and Manny got their mega-contracts. Manny not getting claimed last month is the most convincing evidence of that--any team could have had a future Hall of Fame hitter without giving up anything in return, but nobody wanted that contract.

As much as I love Nomar, salary-considerations aside, I would trade him for A-Rod in a heartbeat, and the Sox would be a much better team. But I will be very surprised if A-Rod ends up in Boston (unless the Sox find someone to take Manny's contract).

Dynasty
11-11-2003, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Nomar's next contract will approach A-Rod money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Nomar will get about half of ARod's $25 million/year contract.

pokerlover
11-11-2003, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Nomar will get about half of ARod's $25 million/year contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh how my heart bleeds.

andyfox
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Apparently the Angels have denied the rumor, saying they're not talking about a 3-way trade. Meanwhile, the Rangers have said that while they're not initiating talks, they're listening to offers. A-Rod, for his part, says he's hopeful that the Rangers will add a few pieces, that they don't need a wholesale facelift. I guess finishing last four years in a row is not indicative that wholesales changes are needed.

On another front, the Cardinals are interested in starting pitching and are willing to trade Jim Edmonds to get one. Here in L.A, word is they've offered Edmonds straight up for Odalis Perez. If so, the Dodgers should jump at the offer. Perez has talent, but is a head case.

Sooga
11-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Are you serious? There's gotta be something more... what are the contract situations with Edmonds and Perez? Trading a .950 OPS CF for a pitcher with only 1 year that could be considered 'good' doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Granted Perez is only 26 and Edmonds is 33, but this still makes zero sense. Perez has been great at Dodger Stadium, but downright mediocre on the road. He's not all that good.

andyfox
11-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Apparently St. Louis is dangling Edmonds onto the market to see what they can come up with. I don't know if the trade would be straight up or if the Dodgers would have to throw some more players into the deal.

According to the L.A. Times this morning, the White Sox are also interested in Perez and have offered either Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko. Edmonds is owed $34 million for the final three guaranteeed seasons of his contract. Lee earned $4.2 million last year and is eligible for arbitration this year and could become a free agent after 2004; Konerko is guaranteed $16.75 million for the next two years.