PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 99's

Sven
11-10-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm dealt 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in EP

UTG folds, I call, EMP Calls, MP1 Folds, MP2 Calls, CO Folds, SB calls, BB checks

9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB Bets, BB Calls, I Raise, EMP Folds, MP2 Folds, SB & BB Call

8 /images/graemlins/club.gif [9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif]
SB Checks, BB Bets, I Raise, SB Folds, BB Calls

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif [8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif]
BB checks, I bet, BB Calls

My question is do you think I should have Riased PreFlop with a pair of 9's? And Did I play the hand ok? Comments welcome

BigEndian
11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Table dependant. Typical LL table, I would limp from early position - maybe fold if there's more than one aggressive player still to act.

- Groove

Brian
11-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi Sven,

Whether or not to raise with 99 in early position depends on if your raise will limit the field. If by raising you will probably get called in 2 or 3 places, then I would probably just limp. You don't want to be facing multiple opponents out of position when an overcard Flops. However, if you are at a tightish table then raising 99 is definitely better than limping.

I like raising the Turn if you think it will get any 6 to fold or if your opponents are passive (i.e. won't re-raise you with a Jack and will check the River with their Jack). That way, you can charge anyone who may be hanging around with a Queen. However, I would be prepared to check it through on the River if I didn't improve. In most low limit games though, you'll get played back at by a Jack and a 6 will never fold, so I probably would have just called on the Turn.

-Brian

Gomez22
11-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Depending on table read, I've raised with nines UTG, but I can be an idiot at the tables, so.......

The play on the flop was good, so was the turn... I like the aggressiveness of a raise here, and you really let it out on the turn... good job, but I may have checked the river through, unless you can fold to a raise here......

WillMagic
11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
I would have played it the exact same.

Limping with nines is fine.

Will

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
I want to second what Brian said about raising 99 PF from EP. However, at your limits, limping is best. I wouldn't berate you for limping with TT UTG at a full table at your limits (cringes in fear at the oncoming barage of screaming). You played the flop fine, but I don't like your turn raise. You're not going to get him to lay down a straight, even if it is the ignorant end. You also don't want to be 3-bet by a Jack, since then it's just costing you more to draw. I think you should've just called the turn, and then called the river unimproved. If you fill up, then of course raise the river.