PDA

View Full Version : Advertising "ploys" and you, Mason Read this

Al_Capone_Junior
11-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Ok so I'm online playing a little no limit hold'em.

I'm also casually browsing various sites between hands.

I see an ad for the "rocket mouse" coming up on several sites. The hand holding this newfangled device is obviously feminine, slender, beautifully painted red nails, right out of a Seinfeld episode. So I get suckered in, curious as to what the hell this new-fangled mouse does and how it works.

OK, Ima moron. We all know that from my wild, wild west post already, so no need to beat a dead horse. Anyway, I click on the ad and check out the "product."

The product is basically a MOUSE (big surprise). It's just that this mouse is held in one hand and doesn't have to be on a flat surface like a regular mouse. Whoopie! Yaa-F-in-Hoo!! It's justa mouse, but it's NEW!! Reminded me of the Simpsons when malibu stacy got a "new hat."

So anyway, it's just a F-in mouse. BUT - there's a catch! The ad on the internet featured... you guessed it... HOTT CHICKS!!!!!!!!!! YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

So there's two super-hottie babes in this ad using the new-fangled "consumer-prrrrrrroduct." One is sitting SO far from the computer there is no F-in way in HELL she could possibly see the screen, she's about ten feet away from her LAPTOP which is sitting on a table halfway across the room. I have GREAT eyesight and I still can't read my computer from that far away. The second pic showed an equally attractive thin white girl comfortably sitting at her p'litically AND erg'nomically c'rect keyboard with this newfangled mouse in one hand.

OK, so I admit it, I LIKE skinny white girls!!!!!!

Anyway, the whole experience got me to thinkin'...

Advertising can be everything. Party poker makes bzillions because they advertise heavily on world poker tour. They're certainly not the best site, they just have the most customers.

So I was playing no limit hold'em and decided to capitalize on this phenomenon. It was effective a "micro-limit game." 50c big blind, $100 buy-in. Thinking about this ad tho gave me an idea. I decided to "show" every time I bluffed, and started bluffing a LOT more than normal against small pots with ragged boards. Then - each time I bluffed, I would show my hand! Not a tactic I would normally use, I generally NEVER show my bluffs. But what I was hoping for was a chance to make a real big bet with a REAL hand, hoping someone would remember my advertising "ploy" and call my "bluff." Worked too. I flopped trip jacks and checked it twice. On the river, my lone opponent checked and I made a big bet, 5x the pot. I got called and won.

So my advertising "ploy" worked out.

However, there's more advertising that can be done that I am personally incapable of doing on my own. Why? Cuz I'm not a "hottie chick." How many advertisements have hott chicks on them? Half? 2/3? Why the heck is Shana Hyatt Co-host of WPT? I'll Tell Ya!! Because you could bounce a quarter off her A$$ and get 24c change back!

So Mason should really change the front cover of all 2+2 books from that drab, QQ vs. AKs baloney to a hott chick, (scantily clad of course).

After all, advertising is everything.

al

DougBrennan
11-10-2003, 08:35 PM
But you're overlooking Ms. Hyatt's razor sharp analysis of emerging poker trends. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thomastem
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Animals have this effect too damn it! Put sheep or beaver out there and they will push your product to new heights.

Easy E
11-11-2003, 11:10 AM
How about a sheep choking a beaver after playing some of those hands that are on the cover of the books?