PDA

View Full Version : An OIC hand,......................again

ArchAngel71857
11-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Don't know if i played this right or not. 1/2 at TGC (OIC level 2, the Jungle World!)

UTG (it is hard to tell from TGC Hand histories) and get dealt K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. , I raise, get 3 cold callers SB folds, BB folds, random poster folds.

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

I check, MP bets, LP raises, I call, other guy folds, MP calls.

Turn comes 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, MP checks, LP bets, i raise, MP cold calls, LP 3-bets, i cap, MP calls.

River comes 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I bet, both call. I take it down.

LP shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, which i figured was one of the hands he could have had.

Critiques?

-AA

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Ugh...

After you raise UTG and the flop comes with all high cards, a check-call screams, "I have a monster." I don't like your "slowplay" here at all. I hate your flop/turn play.

Here's how I would've played it: Bet the flop, you get raised, you call. You bet the turn blank, you get raised, you 3-bet. they both call down. That's how I think the hand should've gone. If I were the guy with top two pair, there's no way I'd be 3-betting the turn here. The fact that he overplays his hands in the face of counter-aggression is all the more reason NOT to slowplay. It worked this time, but against average or better than average opponents, your flop/turn combo won't do anything but cost you bets.

Guido
11-11-2003, 08:42 AM
GOT I agree with your play. I would like to know how you play floped quads or a boat in this situation? Slow-play or not?

Joe Tall
11-11-2003, 08:48 AM
This is a great flop for you to bet out on and the 'reluctantly' call when the flop is raised. In fact, looking over the action, it may have been 3-bet back to you.

I also think betting the turn is a better option. More often than not you shut out the player in the middle with a check-raise here. You can bet this turn and 3-bet a raise, then you'll see if the MP calls 2-cold and at least you have 1-bet out of him as you hold the nuts.

Peace,
Joe Tall

salty
11-11-2003, 09:57 AM
forgive my stupidity but could someone explain what OIC means,thanks

Joe Tall
11-11-2003, 10:24 AM
OIC = Open Internet Challange

salty
11-11-2003, 11:00 AM

HajiShirazu
11-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Possibly because of all the flopped nut straights I have had cracked/ended up split by counterfeiting or backdoor flushes, I always like to just bet out and call a raise, then bet the turn, as previously advised. I always remember the advice somewhere on this forum, "calling stations like to call, give them that opportunity." And in my experience, online people will call 1 with a gutshot or even backdoor flush draw, but they are less likely to call 2 bets unless they have called already. Some of these people would call even if you showed them KQ.
Perhaps the best reason for betting and getting money in the pot initially is the risk of the K or Q coming on the turn or river, killing your action. If this happens, at best, you're only going to get multiple bets out of people you are chopping with anyway. I guess I'm a scared weak-tight player, but I like to get at least some money in when I know I'm ahead.
I don't know much about how to play flopped quads or other flopped monsters. It's certainly a situation I would like to practice more often. /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I usually bet out if I think there is some sort of hand that my opponents could have made or will call with, such as top pair or a flush draw. Otherwise, I just check and hope somebody makes a hand on the turn or river, hopefully a big one. Usually, since many opponents will always bet in last position if checked to, and then almost everyone will call due to seeing this obvious bluff time and again, you end up getting at least some money in the pot.

Louie Landale
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Hard to believe he'd 3-bet the turn after your OBVIOUS slow-play. So I guess it worked out OK this time.

But at modest levels, the opponents CAN see the continuity in the hand and WILL see that you are slow-playing: what hand could you have to raise, check-and-call a double flop bet, and check-raise the turn? Few 5/10 players will 3-bet. Many will sniff the danger and the turn will be checked.

Therefore, your slow-play is pretty hopeless. If someone has a strong hand like AJs you get more money in if you do NOT slow-play.

- Louie

PokerNoob
11-11-2003, 05:35 PM
What did MP call with?

nykenny
11-11-2003, 06:04 PM
nothing much to talk about. u can play this hand anyway you want to basically. don't check too often with the nuts...

kenny