PDA

View Full Version : I HATE these hands

hockey1
11-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Party 3/6, pretty standard LAG table.

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button. UTG calls, MP calls, I raise, SB calls. 4 to the flop.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Checked to me, I bet, all call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif checked to me, I bet, only MP folds.

River: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I have two questions. First, what do you think of my semi-bluffs on the flop and turn? Second, what do you do on the river?

Mike28a
11-10-2003, 10:18 AM
You bet, because he has Axo and you are good. Or, he has the flush (8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) and you get raised. Either way, its over quickly.

brian0729
11-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I like the flop bet. I like to bet the flop on most occasions after I raise PF. Of course you want to check once in awhile for variation. On the turn however I would take the free card with my overcards. He probably has a small pair if he had a flush draw he probably would have bet or raised the flop. I would bet the river here about 100% of the time, I think he will call you with this small pair thinking you are trying to steal with AKo or something.

ccwhoelse?
11-10-2003, 10:31 AM
why not check on the turn? your bet has no chance of picking up the pot.

i would think you bet on the river.

if it was heads-up, would you check-call?

hockey1
11-10-2003, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why not check on the turn? your bet has no chance of picking up the pot.

i would think you bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you say is reasonable, but I find that especially on the Party 3/6 tables players will call a flop bet with just about anything, including one overcard, but fold to the BB turn bet. That's why I bet the turn, although I think you're right that it was a mistake.

As for the river, at a LAG table, you don't think that the most likely explanation for the calling station behavior of at least one of the two others left is a flush draw?

hockey1
11-10-2003, 12:15 PM
I checked the river. SB had a pair of fives and UTG had a very weakly played pair of tens. My pair of queens took down the pot.

Sarge85
11-10-2003, 01:23 PM
I bet the Flop
Check the Turn
Bet the River

JTG51
11-10-2003, 02:38 PM
I think you have your strategy backwards. You should try to put a lot of money in the pot when you have the best hand and little when you have the worst hand, not the other way around.

MaxPower
11-10-2003, 02:49 PM
If your flop bet had lost two opponents and it was heads up on the turn, your bet has some chance of winning the pot. With 3 opponents left on the turn it has no chance and you should take a free card.

At 3/6 there are many players who will call you down if they hit any part of the flop or have a pair. You should bet for value. Most players will bet out when then make the flush because they are afraid of it getting checked around. You will occasionally get check-raised - c'est la vie.

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Whoa...you checked the river??? Why?! TPTK is good here. BET IT! People are too paranoid about flush draws coming in, when they have no reason to put anybody on a flush draw. There are times when it's a good assumption that your opponent is on a flush draw, but this is not one of those times. Just because a flush is possible doesn't mean yyou should put somebody on it. Bad, bad, bad river play.