PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Boat Heads Up

josie_wales
11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey all,
I in the BB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and it is folded around to SB who calls.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet $1 - He calls

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet $2, he calls (Just trying to get a few bucks outta him)

River: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet $5, he thinks and raises to $25, and I go all in (just $35)

$87 in the pot when he turns over A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hit me like a freight train.

Oh well, I know there are bad beat galore stories here, and I have had em too...this, though, is my first BBP (Bad Beat Post)

Maybe just looking for some sympathy.

Or, should I have played it differently?

Josie_Wales

CoinLaundry-CptC0ckwell
11-10-2003, 10:34 AM
The last thing I'd ever call this is a "bad beat". He held two aces, the best possible starting hand. Bad beats are when you raise to $4 UTG with .50/1 blinds and get called by 87o while holding AA and they flop two pair. Losing to aces is a good beat. You did what you were supposed to do, all the way up to losing a lot of money.

Honestly, the guy probably should've taken every dime off of you... I don't know how you got away so cheaply.

josie_wales
11-10-2003, 10:53 AM
He did take it all....I only sat with $50 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TylerD
11-10-2003, 11:05 AM
How many times have you seen Rounders? Sounds like a familiar story to me...lol

Tyler

Zag
11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Yes, you should have played it differently. You should have gotten a lot more of your money in sooner. The outcome would be the same, though.

You flopped a huge hand, and he gave no indication that he had the one hand that beats you. If you fail to get your whole stack in in this case, one of the other of you is making a mistake. With him suddenly coming alive at the end, I am far more likely to put him on 97 than a deep slowplay of AA.

Just make a note on this player that he likes to make a deep slowplay of big hands, and avoid stepping into them in the future. However, even with such a note, I can't imagine that I would do any less than all in with your hand.

I flopped the nut flush recently against someone who had flopped the straight flush. His similar slowplay cost him a lot of money, because he did not manage to get me all in. (The river gave the board a 4-card straight flush, so I was more suspicious, and only called him down. Only half my stack ended up in the pot.)