PDA

View Full Version : Nut flush on paired board - one more raise?

Glurfle
11-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Party 10-handed 2/4. Loose, generally very passive preflop. This hand's an exception.

EP1 and EP2 limp, I limp in MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, LP limps, SB raises, BB 3-bets, EP1 and EP2 both call 2 cold, I call 2, LP calls 2, SB caps, we all call.

SB is a nutjob. He'll play any 2 cards for 1 bet before the flop, he'll call the flop and turn with any 2 cards, but his raising standards after the flop are decent. I've seen him play 100 hands or so, the only cards he's raised are suited connectors and pocket pairs when there are a bunch of limpers. I've seen him limp AK/AQ.

1. How bad is calling 2 more here? I was almost certain that LP would call as well. BB's 3-bet is a big concern, although it's within the realm of possibility that he's noticed the same things about SB that I have and is futilely attempting to isolate. EP1, EP2, and LP are all types who will call any number of bets back to them after limping in. Apparently, so am I.

Anyways, 6 to the flop for 24 SB.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, BB raises, EP1 calls 2, EP2 folds, I 3-bet, LP folds, SB, BB, and EP call.

2. Call or 3-bet? I pretty much always 3-bet for value here with 3 others already in and likely to call, with the option of taking a free card if LP folds. I think BB is likely to have an AA/KK/AQ/KQ here, while everyone else still has two cards.

4 to the turn, 18BB.

Turn: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif [9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif]

It's not perfect, but it's damn good.
SB bets, BB calls, EP folds, I raise, SB 3-bets, BB folds, I just call.

Heads-up with SB to the river with a ton in the pot.

River: J/images/graemlins/club.gif [Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif]

SB bets, I call.

3. Possibly I'm being results oriented here, but I think I should have capped the turn, or maybe raised the river. In retrospect I'm pretty certain that he would play KQ/QJ/JT the same way on the turn, and that he's more likely to have a Q or JT than 99 or 88. At the time, I was afraid that he had filled up on the turn, which was probably weak, but the J on the river just took away one more hand that I could beat (QJ). My tunnel vision here made me completely misread his hand. How would you guys have played it?

Results below:

SB had K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif for the second nut flush. Oops. Every time I make a medium flush and get some pressure I always have to remind myself "flush over flush is rare, he's probably got two pair/overpair/set, don't be afraid of the bigger flush, raise him back", and this time when I was on the high side of flush over flush, I completely failed to take that possibility into account.

tj00
11-10-2003, 06:20 AM
1. I fold here when it is 2 bets back to me. Good chance it will get capped as well.

2. I like the 3 bet if the others will let you have the free card. If there is not a good chance of getting the free card I just call and try to keep LP in.

3. I would cap the turn. If SB bet the river I would just call.