PDA

View Full Version : blind stealers

stripsqueez
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
paradise 10/20 5 max - i have been playing for around 8-9 orbits - as usual i pay close attention early to action around the blinds - the BB when i am the button appears to be a good player but very aggressive and a bit too loose - its really the accuracy of that description that i'm interested in - on 2 occasions it has been folded to me as the button - once i folded - once i raised - on the latter occasion the BB 3 bet and i folded on the turn

this time its folded to me and i get A5s - i raise, the SB folds, and the button 3 bets - i call - the flop is 1054 rainbow with one of my suit - BB bets, i raise, BB 3 bets and i cap it - the turn brings a 6 to complete the rainbow and we both check - the river is a repeat 10 - he bets and i call - he shows 63s

ugly hand - you may think i played it poorly, but the bit i'm interested in is tactics as the BB when faced with a blind stealer in a short handed game - i dont know if the BB thought i was a blind stealer or not - either way from his point of view i was the new guy and the best argument for his tactics is of-course that the new guy must be shown early that his blinds will not be given away to loose button raising - i contrast this to how i behave early as the BB - if your playing against me when i first sit down and your on the button when i am the BB my advice would be to go mad for the first 10 orbits or so and then tighten up, because i will not take a view or a posistion until i have seen enough to be confident its the right posistion to take

as always with short handed, tactics will vary a lot based on who your playing against - but - the BB in my example has got me thinking that maybe i've got it wrong and maybe at least some of the time i should come out firing ?? - show me a knife and i'll show you a bigger one

i'm confident some will think the BB too mad from my example so let me fire a shot for the "mad" men first - generally when creating an image its first impressions that count - a good player looking at me for the first time will likely form the view that i'm a bit weak defending my BB - after some time he might be dissuaded of that view but the initial impression i create by my usual tactic will rightly cause a good player to attack my blinds - wouldnt it be preferable for the initial impression to be that i'm a wild man ?? - thereby stopping the good player from attempting the steal

i suppose 1 simple answer is that you dont mind any of this because as long as you recognise whats happening you can take advantage of it - but as a matter of style if nothing else i prefer the button not to be constantly attacking my BB with crap like Q9o or 75s

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

lefty rosen
11-10-2003, 02:51 AM
I will triple bet an obvious blind stealer with almost anything if I don't think he is a tilted crackhead, who won't fold regardless what hits the board. Also I don't do this very often just often enough to give the guy a message. A few times it's comeback to haunt me though as one time I triple bet a crackhead with 10/8 off I caught the ten on the flop he bet into me I raised, he called, bet the turn I raised again on the turn, it was an 8, again he called. The next card set him up with middle card straight I check he bets and reveals 6/4 suited.... The moron quaded and chased it down, needless to say he was not long for even the stupid and loose Pacific poker 2/4 shorttable games........