PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this set too fast?

chesspain
11-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Paridise 1/2 Weak-passive table

I'm in the SB, and dealt 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to EP who calls, folded to MP who calls, folded to the button who calls, I complete, BB checks (5SB)

4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I lead out and bet, folded to MP who calls, folded to the button who calls (8SB)

[4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, MP folds, button calls (5BB)

[4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, button calls

Given the unraised PF pot, should I have slowplayed the flop, or at least gone for a checkraise on the flop or later? Or was it correct to bet out on each street against these seeming calling stations?
button shows 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif (!?) for two-pair

Bob T.
11-09-2003, 03:16 PM
When was he going to start betting middle pair no kicker, and at any point if you checkraise him, do you really thinnk he is coming along? You got the maximum by betting here.

chesspain
11-09-2003, 03:26 PM
I agree that I likely got the maximum out of this hand, but I don't want to be results-oriented. My question about slowplaying/checkraising was more of a theoretical question, given the PF action, my cards, and the flop.

I guess one of my "leaks" is that I usually play sets fast, even though I often get popped in LL games on the turn by people slowplaying sets against me--although recently I was able to suckout on two different players who slowplayed strong hands on the flop /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbc
11-09-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm a fan of playing low or bottom sets pretty fast. Especially online LL, where there is such high table turnover, you rarely get a chance to peg your table and the players there. B&M is a bit of a different story.

With that flop, I think you were in danger of checking through and giving everyone a free card, which would have sucked w/ 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif's on the board. Plus, w/ LL online, there are too many crazy hands that someone could be holding w/ 50% seeing the flop (you saw what the button played).

You mention in your later post how some people have gotten an extra bet out of you by slowplaying sets till the turn. This is what the various authors classify as a move that generally only works on better players. Ironic, isn't it, that, because you are probably better than other folks at this limit, you will be vulnerable to moves that average loose passive folks won't be. This is just something that comes with playing tight agressive at the LL. It is the style that will make you the most money, but occassionally you'll be caught by someone making a move like this.

Don't worry about it long term though, just stick to straightforward, tight agressive play w/ LL online. You have much more license to get fancy with B&M play and possibly with higher limits online.

Best o' luck,
jbc

lil'
11-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Playing a small set fast with draws on the board is almost never wrong.

Nice hand.

tpir90036
11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
save mixing your play up for tougher competition. fire those virtual chips in there...nice hand.