PDA

View Full Version : A few hands for review (first time!)

John Deere
11-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone,

After lurking around here for a while and reading everything I possibly can, I felt more confident about my game, and deciding to give online poker another try. I bought into Party with $50 to play the $0.50/$1 tables. Made a modest $11 in the morning, then lost that and another $25 a little later (half on tilt.. d'oh!), then won back about $6, before my final sitting for the day when I strung together some great hands -- a full house, a nut flush, and trips, within a span of about 8 hands to make like $37 and finish up $17 on the day. I would appreciate any feedback on these hands... thanks!

HAND #1

Dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG. I open-raise. Call from UTG+1, 2 MPs, the button, and BB.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, I bet. UTG+1 calls, folded to the button, who raises. BB folds, I call, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
I have top pair, overcard kicker, nut flush draw, I bet out. Called around.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
I bet, UTG+1 folds, button raises, I call.

HAND #2 -- Did I miss any bets?

Dealt 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in MP.
One EP caller before me, I limp. Another limper, then the button raises. SB and BB still complete, and everyone else calls the raise (although I almost didn't). 8 to the flop for 8 BB -- a nice family pot (glad I called).

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Trips -- nice. Checked to me, I check -- surely someone will bet. LP bets, called by CO, button and BB. I raise, LP folds, everyone else calls. 5 to the turn.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
Uh oh. Checked to me, I bet out to see what everyone else has. Called by LP, button, BB.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif [8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
I filled up! I bet, LP calls, button folds. BB raises (does he have A6 or something?), I three-bet, LP folds, BB calls.

HAND #3
Dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in EMP.
UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, I raise. EP, EMP1, LMP, LP, SB, BB call (UTG+1 folds).

Flop: 7 7 T rainbow
I have an overpair. BB bets, EP folds, I raise. Two callers and two folds to the BB, who re-raises. I and three others call.

Turn: 2
BB bets out, I fold.

Results to come... thanks in advance!

BigEndian
11-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Hand 1:

PF: If your raise will get you heads up or 3-way, nifty. Otherwise, I would limp, and limp re-raise if given the opportunity.

The rest is ok, I'm guessing you'll end up looking at trips.

- Groove

rkiray
11-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Hands 1 + 2 are fine. Why did you fold Hand 3, I'd raise.

BigEndian
11-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Hand 2:

and everyone else calls the raise (although I almost didn't).

You should definitely call here. the rest is fine.

Hand 3: I would call the river if there wasn't a number of players behind you in the action. And maybe even still.

- Groove

John Deere
11-09-2003, 01:47 PM
On hand 3, I folded because I raised the flop and was re-raised. Then, he bet into me. He was certainly representing a set, so I got out. Should I have checked-called the turn and the river if no overcards fell? In hindsight, I wish I had -- perhaps the problem was that he had just sat down and I didn't have a read on him.

RESULTS

Hand 1: I took down the pot, having out-kicked the other guy (ATo).

Hand 2: I took it down with the rivered full house, beating, as I suspected, a made flush on the turn. Whew!

Hand 3: The re-raiser ended up winning the pot with two pair -- tens and sevens (he had QTo in the hole). The other player in for the showdown had pocket 8's. Oops.

MaxPower
11-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Welcome

Hand 1 is good.

Hand 2 - I would normally bet out on the flop. With an ace and a flush draw on the board you will get called and the button is likely to raise giving you the chance to 3-bet.

Hand 3 - I wouldn't fold yet. Re-raise and see what happens. Don't automatically go to the river, but when the pot is this large, you can't just give up for one bet on the turn.

lil'
11-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Hand 1 - Nicely played by you.
Hand 2 - You will be getting 7 to 1 odds on you pre-flop call after the raise. It's an easy call. Bet the flop so you can get the chance to 3 bet.
Hand 3 - Nice pre-flop raise. I wouldn't fold an overpair when you did. Most people wait until the turn to announce they have trips.

brian0729
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Welcome,

Hand 2: You have to bet the flop if you get raised you get a chance to 3 bet, if not thats ok but you really shouldnt check and give somebody on a flush draw to see the turn for free.

Nottom
11-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Would anybody else 3-bet the flop in hand 1?

lil'
11-09-2003, 07:43 PM
I was thinking about that, but decided calling was best. It would be nice to get the cold-caller to continue to call with his garbage, and I think he is losing to a jack.

You could certainly make a case for 3-betting though, if you think all 15 of your outs will be good. Plus, the cold caller might cold call 2 more again anyway.

Hell, maybe 3 betting the flop is better.

Redhotman
11-09-2003, 07:56 PM
nt

Jeffage
11-09-2003, 08:01 PM
In this spot, I would probably 3-bet the flop near 100% of the time...if behind, you likely have 15 outs twice. Get some money in there.

Jeff