PDA

View Full Version : HeadsUp/Tourney Blind Positioning

08-20-2002, 01:32 AM
I don't understand the direction of play when a game is heads-up. I watched a Paradise tourney go from 3-handed to 2-handed in an attempt to become enlightened. Player A was in SB, Player B in BB and Player C on the button. When A busted out, the button didn't move, B was again the BB and C was the SB.

So my 1st question is why is this? When I play in home tourneys with my friends we assume B becomes the SB and C the BB, just like it would have if A didn't bust out.

2nd question: I've also noticed when it's heads-up that the SB is first to act pre-flop but then the BB is first to act on subsequent rounds. Again, why is this and is it related to the answer to my first question? Regardless of the button and SB/BB placement why would the betting sequence change post-flop?

Thanks in advance,

Robb

08-20-2002, 04:04 AM
When playing heads-up, the button is given to the small blind. Therefore, the small blind acts first pre-flop because he must complete the bet (or raise). But, he acts last post-flop since he's on the button.

It is a strange set-up when you first see it. The purpose of this is to allow/encourage the small blind to play more hands since he will have position after the flop. If the big blind had the button, then he would have both of the key advatages: (1) position on all rounds and (2) not being forced to complete a bet pre-flop. By splitting up these advantages, the game is more balanced.

08-21-2002, 11:50 PM